Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing The Right Laptop

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 unloaded

unloaded

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:59 AM

Hi, I am currently thinking to sell my desktop(which is quite old), and to buy a laptop instead. I am willing to spend about $1800-2000 for it. I did some research on various websites, and I found ASUS A7Tc is quite suitable for me. But I am still not sure if it is the best within that money range, therefore I need some suggestions. I am more focusing on performances, such as gaming and the laptop has to be over 15-inch in size. I am not worried about the weight. Thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:48 AM

any suggestions?

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:51 AM

I hear Alienware makes good stuff, nobody I know has one tho. I've also heard that laptops are not the best idea for gaming, due to lack of upgradability..
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:08 AM

Alienware's laptops are very cool, except their prize are abit high, any other suggestions?

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ntbkx649500.asp?v=d

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

Laptops are not made for heavy gaming with the exception of some like Alienware that actually use desktop components to make it so.

To really choose a laptop you should go to a store and demo some - take one of the games you like with you.

For $2000 you should be able to get a pretty capable laptop as laptops go (not necessarilly Alienware type though)

#7 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:56 AM

ok, but I only have NFS most wanted, is this game good enough for testing?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

With most laptops (and a little bit of comparison shopping) you'll find that you get what you pay for. The more you pay, the better performance you'll get.

The problem with laptops (IMO) is that they'll stay the same forever (very limited expandability). Yet the game writers will keep on developing stuff for the latest technologies. So, eventually, your laptop won't be able to play that new game that you want to buy.

As Enthusiast suggests, go to the store and try them out. Laptops are very personal. My wife can't stand my Toshiba M45, but loves her HP laptop.

Also, figure out what you need in the way of a processor, a graphics card, memory, and screen real estate. Then select a few models that you like. Then, check the sale papers for deals that just can't be beat. In my area, CompUSA has some fantastic sales that are advertised with very short notice - but we saved several hundred dollars on the wife's laptop and on the 2 desktops that we bought for her office. The last one was an AMD 3000+ (Compaq) for $179 after rebates - just can't beat that.

So, in short, it's gonna be a lot of research and a lot of shopping. But you'll eventually end up with something that does exactly what you need it to do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:31 AM

yeah, thanks alot, my eyes are going blind after 8 hours of researching, lol.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

I'm working on getting a new system right now - so I feel for you!!! But the end result will be something that you're happy with. (and you won't have to look again for a long while!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

yeah thats true. thanks anyway.

#12 dgreen

dgreen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:50 PM

When I posted a similar question about PCs earlier someone directed me to fstguide.com. I found some good information there.

#13 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:30 AM

i searched some laptops on it, but it only had few types. Thanks for the help though.

#14 unloaded

unloaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

check out asus A8Js, is it a pretty good laptop, but not sure if I can afford it.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:53 AM

FWIW - the nForce 680i SLI chipset and 8800 vid cards came out in the last few days.

It makes the choices much, much harder. But the inflated prices for these components make the choice a bit easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users