Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With My Dvd/cd Drive...help Asap!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jd_90

jd_90

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:16 AM

I just totally re-installed my PC yesterday so that I could have a fresh start with the PC. Everything went well, everything installed properly, my drive read discs and I could install CD's to iTunes.

But now all of a sudden it's stopped reading disks altogether. When I put a disc in the drive it makes this weird noise. And the drive doesn't recognise any disks in the drive. I don't know what could be wrong. I tried uninstalling the drive in safe mode then re-booting but that failed to work.

Also I tried wiping the computer and starting new again by putting the recovery CD in and to boot from the disc but that hasn't worked either and doesn't recognise the disk. I'm worried about this and my Dad would be really angry with me if something bad has wrecked the drive.

I don't know very much in the technical aspects of a PC so PLEASE if someone could help me solve this problem I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks.

Edited by jd_90, 06 October 2006 - 03:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

When I put a disc in the drive it makes this weird noise.

As a dad myself I am lead to ask you... What did you do!? :thumbsup:

Stuff happens jd_90. CD rom drives fail. There are 101 working pieces in that drive that make it work. Any gear or slide out may have worked loose.

How comfortable do you feel removing the drive? If the answer was... yea, I can do it... then remove the CD Drive from your computer. Use a straightened paper clip to open the drive door. There is a little hole on the front of the drive - stick the paper clip in there and firmly but gently push the clip as so the door opens. Take a look inside. Anything foreign objects of loose pieces? If you find gears or broken plastic, the drive is obviously broken - replace it. I have seen labels come off, cd shatter, and various other items that find there way inside drives. Hopefully you can remove something simple and all works again.

If all else fails, take it to your local computer shop/computer friend and let them replace the drive.

Good luck with the repair - I wish you well. :flowers:

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:41 PM

And do not remove it in safe mode!

Only remove internal devices with the power OFF!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users