Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot stop my laptop from trying to use a proxy server

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 j0aNoFaRc

j0aNoFaRc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:09 AM

I'm aware that this topic has been covered Ad nauseam, but mostly the answers given are either incorrect or do not work. No matter how many times I change it, my laptop suddenly keeps on trying to use a proxy server, when I don't use one. Consequently I cannot connect to the internet. No, I dont have a virus or malware'. If I try to change it in settings, LAN connections, then the LAN settings is greyed out. When I change it in the Microsoft Edge browser it does not allow me to save and keeps reverting back when I close the browser. This has happened before and I fixed it but I was doing so many things that I don't know which one fixed it.  :orange:  It was also straight after a Windows updates was installed so I think it might be the updates changing the Edge settings. Anyway, help! Please. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

No, I dont have a virus or malware'.

yes you do

download and run ADWCleaner...then Malwarebytes Anti Malware

if you are unable to download and run them in normal boot, start your computer in safe mode to do it

#3 j0aNoFaRc

j0aNoFaRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:31 AM

Uhm.. Can someone who understands English please help me?

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,438 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

Uhm.. Can someone who understands English please help me?

No....they can not....

you obviously need help....but not with your computer :whistle:

Edited by mikey11, 17 April 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

First off, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I would like to apologize for the disrespectful post by Mikey11, this was uncalled for and incorrect.

I see that you have tried using Edge, but what other browser/s are you using?  Internet Explorer 11?  Firefox, Chrome, Opera?  We need to know this in order to help you.

I see that this problem started after a Windows update, which update was install at that time.  If you wish to see your update history press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

Select Update & Security, then select Windows update, then View installed update history.

Edited by dc3, 17 April 2018 - 09:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

Please note that I edited my last post to correct text.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 j0aNoFaRc

j0aNoFaRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

Hi,

Thank you! Yes, it started right after an upd

I would like to apologize for the disrespectful post by Mikey11, this was uncalled for and incorrect.

I see that you have tried using Edge, but what other browser/s are you using?  Internet Explorer 11?  Firefox, Chrome, Opera?  We need to know this in order to help you.

I see that this problem started after a Windows update, which update was install at that time.  If you wish to see your update history press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

Select Update & Security, then select Windows update, then View installed update history.

Hi and thank you! Yes, it started after an update. My thought was also to check installed updates. I found three, decided to uninstall them and then thought of system restore, and now I can't decide which is best. I use Google Chrome.

#8 j0aNoFaRc

j0aNoFaRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

Thank you! Yes, it started right after an upd

Hi and thank you! Yes, it started after an update. My thought was also to check installed updates. I found three, decided to uninstall them and then thought of system restore, and now I can't decide which is best. I use Google Chrome.

#9 j0aNoFaRc

j0aNoFaRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

Here's the reply.  :orange:  :orange:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

I would suggest the System Restore first, it won't hurt anything if it does nothing.

What version of Window 10 are you currently running?  To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver, then press Enter.

Please post the update/s that were installed just before the problem started.  If there is a problem with a specific update we can search for work-around.

#11 j0aNoFaRc

j0aNoFaRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

Thank you. I will do so just now. I am an online English tutor and have students booked now that cannot wait. Thank you for taking the time to help. Speak soon.

I would suggest the System Restore first, it won't hurt anything if it does nothing.

What version of Window 10 are you currently running?  To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver, then press Enter.

Please post the update/s that were installed just before the problem started.  If there is a problem with a specific update we can search for work-around.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

I should be around for most of the day.  It is now coming up on 8:00 am Pacific Standard Time.  It looks like there is a difference of nine hours between us, it is evening for you.  This can be problematic in following up on posts.  We need to sleep at some point.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:09 AM

I would like to point out that you don't need to quote my posts.  If there are multiple members responding just address your post to the member you wish to respond to.  Less time, less bandwidth.

#14 j0aNoFaRc

j0aNoFaRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the tips. I haven't been on a Forum like this before. I'm done with system restore but I just realised that I changed another setting today in order to access LAN settings which had been greyed out. So I'm going to check that again and see. Supposing the system restore turns out not to work - any other suggestions?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:33 AM

If this doesn't work you will need to post the answers and information I requested in post #10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users