Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed With Wrong Recovery Disks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Z

Bill Z

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:47 AM

Dear Forum,

Last year I returned a HP pavillion notebook as it had a faulty power supply. They determined I needed to replace the mother board and proceeded to do so. They then used their own product recovery disks. In my Help and Support file it shows the computer as a Compaq.

I have an outstanding issue that might be connected. My two computers can see each other by bluetooth but when I use file transfer I move the icon to the second computer and that after a while it says incorrect permissions. I have had bluetooth forum help on this with no success. the computer with the new mother board connects by bluetooth with my iPaq.

Does anyone know whether there is a problem with this apparent incompatability?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:56 AM

Compaq and HP are made by the same manufacturer but I don't know if the restore disk they used are actually compatable.

Does everything on the computer work properly except your networking problem?

Make sure your drives are set for filesharing and the folders are set for filesharing as well. That applies to everything you want to be able to share.

How did you set it up originally? Did you use the wireless connection wizard in each computer to set up the network?

Make sure the workgroup you set up in each computer is spelled exactly the same.

#3 Bill Z

Bill Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:18 AM

Dear Enthusiast,

How are you?

Following from your approach that the file-sharing was at fault, I started looking further at the Bluetooth settings on the 1st computer and they were messing around - no apparent consistent behaviour :inlove:

So I reinstalled the bluetooth software. Then I messed around for a while connecting the iPaq with the laptop as the connection proceedure has to be exact. :thumbsup:

When that was working I tried to look at the second computer, and decided to reinstall there. During reinstallation it ased for me to switch off the bluetooth and I couldn't. :flowers: :trumpet:

As I need it for my wireless router I shall leave it as it is and forget the bluetooth.

Why incorrect permissions I have no idea.

Thanks for your help.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users