Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Menu Handle

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 charlesa222

charlesa222

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

INVALID MENU HANDLE
I get this error message on 3 different computers in different places, like clicking on a video to play it, downloading a photo for a photoshop tutorial, clicking on an audio, viewing a profile on myspace, etc. Two of these computers are kept fully updated. One is XP pro, the other is XP home. I have tried downloading first and then "open with" or "play with" and that doesn't help. I can't remember most of the places I've gotten this. One tonight was trying to download the sample photos from a site that offers tutorials on photoshop. I have gotten this from two other photoshop sites, including one where I had bought a course. Could not view the pdfs that were supposed to go with the lessons either, got the same message. Thanks in advance.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 06 October 2006 - 12:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 charlesa222

charlesa222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:45 PM

Here's a site where I got this tonight.
http://www.uic.edu/cuppa/udv/managingphotos/layers.htm

#3 charlesa222

charlesa222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:39 AM

Thanks animal. I have googled this a couple of times and saw the advice to get XP updated offered as a solution a couple of times.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:01 AM

Your XP installations need to be fully updated and so does your Acrobat Reader (PDF problem).

Go to "folders" in your control panel then "files" and set your file associations for jpgs for Windows Viewer and PDFs for Acrobat viewer.

#5 charlesa222

charlesa222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:56 PM

Thanks a million Enthusiast!
Take a look and see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

control panel
looking for "folders" found "folder options"
inside that
looking for "files" found "file types", a long list in a window. Found "JFIF" "JNG" "JPE = JPEG IMAGE" "JPEG = JPEG Image" "JPg = JPEG Image"

Highlighting JPG and clicking "Advanced"
Actions: click New, click browse,
Look through Program Files, didn't see Windows Viewer.
Start
Search
"Windows Viewer" "all files or folders"
nothing found

#6 charlesa222

charlesa222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:30 AM

Anybody?

I'm saying that did not work.

Here's what I did, where did I screw up?

control panel
folder options

file types, a long list in a window. Found "JFIF" "JNG" "JPE = JPEG IMAGE" "JPEG = JPEG Image" "JPG" = JPEG Image"

Highlighting JPG and clicking "Advanced"
Actions: click New, click browse,
Look through Program Files, didn't see Windows Viewer.
Start
Search
"Windows Viewer" "all files or folders"
nothing found

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

Under Folder Options / File Types, what program is associated with JPEG's?
Highlight JPEG, and click the Change button.
When you click the Change button, is one of the options Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
If so, select it.

or,

What program do you usually view images with?
If it's not Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, when you click the Change button, navigate to C: / Program Files / (your image viewer folder) / and click on the executable (.exe) for that program.
I use Irfanview, so I would navigate to:
C: / Program Files / Irfanview / Irfanview.exe, and select that

or,

You can go into the program you usually use, and set the file associations, there.

Associate all of your image files (JPEG, GIF, BMP, ......) with the program you select.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 charlesa222

charlesa222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:29 AM

Thanks a mil, Forumaddict. I think what I had was no program associated. At least I don't remember seeing the program name in the window before I set it. I set it for Windows picture and fax viewer.

I did this only for JPEG , that leaves
JNG, JOB, JOD, JPE, JPG

Should I do the same for any or all of those?

I use different programs for images.
Paint for converting Bitmaps to jpegs and for drawing on pix.
Office 2003 for editing and changing contrast, brightness, color, resizing.
Photoshop for... well, havent figured out how to get the different layers into the same picture, but when I do, I'll use PS for assembling different images together and for using layers.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:30 AM

You're welcome, charlesa222.
Whatever you set, under Folder Options / File Types, will be the default.
In other words, when you double click it, that's the program it opens in.
It doesn't mean that's the only program you can open the file in.
Just set the files to the program you want to use a default.
If you need to open them in a program that's not set as default, open the program, click File / Open, and navigate to the file you want to open.
or,
You can right click the file, select Open With, and choose a program to open it with, from there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 charlesa222

charlesa222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Should I change JNG, JOB, JOD, JPE, JPG also?

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

What programs are they associated with now?

#12 charlesa222

charlesa222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:07 AM

JPE is associated with windows picture and fax viewer. All the others have no association.

Another thing, I just now tried to download and automatically open a PDF and got this same message. But when I downloaded it first, and then did "open with" it worked. So I checked to see ef PDF files were associated, and they already were, with PDF reader 7.

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:40 AM

JPG - a type of JPEG. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer should open this one, also.

JNG - Windows Picture and Fax Viewer might open this one. The list shows it associated with a few image programs (IrfanView, XnView, .....), but I don't know if Windows Picture and Fax Viewer can handle it.

JOB
JOD
Check the links and see if anything looks familiar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users