Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

American Megatrends screen if I change any "AI Tweaker" settings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Malloxxo

Malloxxo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:34 AM

For a while now I have been getting these American Megatrend boot screens every morning when I first start up my PC (see attached).

It only seems to occur when I have modified 1 or more settings in the "AI Tweaker" section of the ASUS Bios, for example I have left every setting at default except Load Line Calibration, which I set to Level 4. No matter the configuration, if any of the settings in the tab are not set to default, I get this screen as a result. Also, after getting the screen, I can press F1 to go into Bios, I still have the settings and then I can Save and Close and the system successfully boots. It will also successfully boot straight to windows from power off thereafter unless I leave it off for a few hours (this is why it normally only occurs in the morning).

Specs:
ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
Intel i7-6700k
HyperX Fury 2x8gb 2400MHz

Cheers

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

The changes you made have created an instability, that's what the AMI BIOS is telling you.

#3 Malloxxo

Malloxxo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

See, that's what I'm puzzled about.
Changing most of these settings shouldn't create system instability, for the most part.

For example I know my system can safely run 4.5ghz at 1.25v (tested PRIME95), but changing either value in the AI tweaker produces the error. This also happens with arbitrary settings that shouldn't cause instability, such as changing the base clock from "auto" to "100" (which is what auto runs at anyway).

Another thing to note is that this error only occurs from a cold boot after the PC has been completely powered off for a certain period, around a few hours. If the settings were infact creating an instability, then why can the system successfully boot still inside this period or after restarting whenever the error shows?

Thanks

Edited by Malloxxo, 17 April 2018 - 10:16 AM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:22 PM

This may be heat related.  A can of freeze spray might locate the culprit.  Over Clocking does more to a MOBO than just jack up some frequencies, that results in other peripheral chips to run beyond their design specs and instability is the first indication of going too far.  With normal setting does it have an faults??

Edited by mjd420nova, 18 April 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

i think you can tell the bios to not "halt on errors" and continue booting.

Edited by mightywiz, 17 April 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

Being as it is time relayed when was the last you changed the system battery, it may be a little low and not holding settings.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Malloxxo

Malloxxo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

This may be heat related.  A can of freeze spray might locate the culprit.  Over Clocking does moe to a MOBO than just jack up some frequencies, that results in other peripheral chips to run beyond their design specs and instability is the first indication of going too far.  With normal setting does it have an faults??

Using the default settings of the AI Tweaker tab (no overclock) does not produce the error, this is what I have been doing in the meantime while I figure out the solution.

i think you can tell the bios to not "halt on errors" and continue booting.

Isn't that a bit unsafe if there were to be a serious problem?

Being as it is time relayed when was the last you changed the system battery, it may be a little low and not holding settings.

I might try to replace the battery, but the settings seem to hold after going into the Bios when the error occurs.

I have had this PC for over 1 year now, is this a reasonable time for the battery to run out?

#8 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

I have had this PC for over 1 year now, is this a reasonable time for the battery to run out?

I have computers that are 10 years old that have never had a CMOS Battery replaced.

Edited by The-Toolman, 17 April 2018 - 07:10 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#9 Malloxxo

Malloxxo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

I have tried both updating the Bios and resetting it via the jumper on the motherboard to no avail.

#10 Malloxxo

Malloxxo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

Bump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users