Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to do incremental backups in windows 8.1 using task scheduler

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wardr

wardr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:21 AM

What led my here:

I've been searching for days trying to figure this out, and all over the internet I see an array over answers.  Unfortunately I think Microsoft changed the way you can backup from Windows version to Windows version, taking out features and adding new ones, and then sometimes adding back old features, just depending on the version of windows you have (7, 8, 8.1, 10, 2008 server, etc).

My setup:

I have 3 hard drives connected to my system:

B:\ - this is my backup drive, 4 TB USB external drive.

C:\ - this is WIndows and my programs - SSD drive 150 GB

D:\ - this is my data drive, 4 TB internal

My Dilemma:

Now back track a little, before I had the B: drive, I've been doing this successfully with only backing up the C: drive onto the D: drive, using wbadmin in task scheduler using the following twice a week:

wbadmin Start Backup -backupTarget:D: -include:C: -allCritical -quiet

This worked good, the backup I think just replaced the old backup and took about 20 minutes because the C: drive is only like 80gb.

But...... recently my D: drive failed, and I realized that I need to backup both C: and D: onto another drive dedicated for only backups.  So I got a new drive for this purpose (the B: drive) and changed my task to show as follows:

wbadmin Start Backup -backupTarget:B: -include:'C:,D:' -allCritical -quiet

This works, but the problem is backing up the D: drive to the B: drive takes like 24 hours!  This would be fine if it was a one-shot deal and after the initial backup it just backed up incrementally. But its not okay if I have to do this every single time I backup. Notably its bad because if something goes wrong during that 24 hours, or I simply reset the computer for any reason, then nothing is backed up, and I'm left with nothing! 

What I want to do:

I want to backup my C: and D: drive on to my B: drive. I want them to be disk images / full backups, exact clones of what is on the C: and D: drives.

So my question is:

Can wbadmin be used to incrementally backup in windows 8.1? If not, how can I schedule an incremental backup in windows 8.1?

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2018 - 09:57 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bigjohn

bigjohn

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:45 AM

I personally don't like incremental backup. I got caught once when my drive got infected, or corrupted and the backup image was updated with the the error. I did not have a clean BU. image so, had to re install OS and software. I could recover my data successfully though. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Proper and safe online browsing practices can go a long way toward keeping a computer free of infections.  This would also include downloading programs online where third party applications are a common and may contain adware or worse.  These third party applications can usually be avoided by using the custom installation rather than the "Suggested" method which automatically installs all of the third party applications.  This coupled with a good antivirus and firewall is another must.  If you do this and keep the computer clean you should be able to use programs like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image. to clone the drives.  One of the advantages for this type of backup is that it can be kept separate from the operating system so that if the ssd/hdd fails and you lose its content.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

"...you should be able to use programs like Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image. to clone the drives..."

EaseUS, Image for Windows/BootIt Bare Metal, AOMEI, are three more that can be considered.  Not only to make clones, these can also make full images of one's OS and Data partitions.  Choices are many!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users