Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interesting News

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

Hmm.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/16/microsoft-will-use-linux-to-secure-internet-of-things-devices.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-azure-sphere-is-powered-by-linux-2018-4

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

Wow nice. But I wonder if these IOT devices will have I firewall installed and enabled?

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:23 AM

Really M$?

From communist cancer to Savior, talk about back flips maybe M$ should enter gymnastic events at the next Olympics.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,937 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:50 AM

msft only does what will make them $.  This is proven beyond doubt by their track record.

So....because they have "back flipped" rather spectacularly....in effect they are "stealing" the very ground that Linux stands on.....in their 'usual' sneaky manner....   a forecast or prophesy here is not inappropriate...(imo)

...In the future...sooner rather than later......the general publics perception will be that msft "owns", or indeed "invented", Linux. ....and slowly but surely the charges will start and continue as msft actually profit from what is/has been..a Free OS

I regard win 10 as an abomination. I Follow the win 10 support area, and I see the constant stream of bsod's, update cracks/breaks/disasters, from a OS that was supposed be THE operating system. I obviously disagree, and I also note that a very hefty percentage of the topics listed since win 10's inception have been operating system faults/update disasters/....in other words problems caused by the win 10 system itself....not by the users.

And so.......enter msft's "interest" in Linux.......and by this I mean public interest.....putting it out there for all to see.......so that when they release a "bigger brighter, newer, fantasticer, "...etc etc...OS, which has somehow been based on Linux.......their adoring public will sing their praises once again.......and Linux as we know it will become yet another footnote in history.

The current Linux users of today will still exist but will be known (once again) as the ever so slightly lunatic fringe. (no offence intended fellas)

msft....if you can't beat them....join them.

rant  prophesy over.

ps. @ Toolman......it was the hmm at the start of your topic that got me going.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,241 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:57 AM

...In the future...sooner rather than later......the general publics perception will be that msft "owns", or indeed "invented", Linux. ....and slowly but surely the charges will start and continue as msft actually profit from what is/has been..a Free OS

I agree,

All this Microsoft loves Linux is not a good thing for Linux,

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:09 AM

Yes, if M$ embraces Linux, it's not doing it for the sake of helping Linux, that's for sure.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:03 AM

It was bound to happen since the marriage of Canonical and Microsoft.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:10 AM

Well Azure was kind of based on linux already anyhow before hand, i guess this is them finally giving linux a full go on their services.

For IoT Microsoft has been kind of flopping with linux being very popular in that sector.

I think this is them cutting their losses and them putting more money into linux is a good thing in my opinion.

Linux has many developers and little funding, Microsoft being a core contributor will help this.

Its not ideal but development takes time and money, even the hardcore GNU/FSF fanboys must know this.

We dont live in a ideal world, simple as that.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:24 AM

I'm just waiting for the day when we see laptops on the shelves with 'M$ Linux' pre-installed..!  :lmao:

The current Linux users of today will still exist but will be known (once again) as the ever so slightly lunatic fringe. (no offence intended fellas)

Running Pup, you're known as something of a lunatic even by other Linux users. I'm used to it...

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 April 2018 - 10:27 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:38 PM

@ MadmanRB

Agreed but it is kind of a devil's advocate.

@ Mike_Walsh

Quote: I'm just waiting for the day when we see laptops on the shelves with 'M$ Linux' pre-installed..!  :lmao:

And I'm not completely against that as long as M$ doesn't have spyware AKA analytics/telemetry enabled by default.

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

@ Mike_Walsh

Quote: I'm just waiting for the day when we see laptops on the shelves with 'M$ Linux' pre-installed..!  :lmao:

And I'm not completely against that as long as M$ doesn't have spyware AKA analytics/telemetry enabled by default.

As for the analytics / telemetry get used to it everything seems to be running in The Cloud if not already.

I don't see Microsoft taking over development of real Linux that we have now.

I think Microsoft will develop their own retail version(s) of Linux.

I'll stay with real Linux. :thumbup2:

Edited by The-Toolman, 17 April 2018 - 08:52 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

Well if there really was a microsoft desktop linux, i actually may give it a try out of pure curiosity and to see how it fares against windows and linux respectively.

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 April 2018 - 08:50 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Well if there really was a microsoft desktop linux, i actually may give it a try out of pure curiosity and to see how it fares against windows and linux respectively.

If Microsoft does create a Desktop Linux OS I hope it turns out better then the Windows 10 abomination.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:05 PM

Well not all parts of windows 10 is bad.

Its user interface for the most part is fine, it has virtual desktops and it quite fast for a windows OS even with fast boot off.

But I do hate the new start menu, that is bollocks.

Also yeah the automatic updates are crap too, so glad i have windows 10 pro

Edited by MadmanRB, 17 April 2018 - 09:06 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:04 PM

@ The-Toolman

Well analytics/telemetry kind of creeps me out just look at Facebook. And yes most things are moving to cloud but I hope real Linux leaves this an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users