Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zyxel router: reset to switch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:21 PM

Hey I'm trying to reconfig this Zyxel C1100Z as a switch for our home network. Got most of the settings but need a little help. 1) I don't find how to change the IP for this device to 192.168.0.2. Will this happen automatically b/c I turned off DHCP on the Zyxel? Meaning the main router will give it an IP?

2) Where in Firewall settings do I set "filter multicast" and "firewall protect". Maybe they're referred to differently in this menu.

I don't want to use the switch forever, just sometimes. So I don't want to change settings inside pcs or laptops.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:38 PM

If your Zyxel is currently using some address not in the 192.168.0.x range then make a label with the address of the router on it and stick it on the bottom of the router so you can find it later. Then turn off DHCP in the router. Make sure you don't connect the WAN port and you can use the LAN ports as a switch. WiFi operation, if the Zyxel supports it, may or may not work depending on the internal circuitry. To get back into the Zyxel as a router you will need to manually address a computer to the subnet the Zyxel currently supports (say, 192.168.1.x if the Zyxel is 192.168.1.1) and connect it to a LAN port to access the web interface, turn DHCP back on, and connect the WAN port.

#3 Mac29

Mac29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Orecomm, thanks. Got it working as a switch. Repurposing is good. Just a quick question or two: If DHCP is off then it shouldn't matter if I left NAT on, correct? It's just a dumb switch now.

Also, I think you're saying to get back in and reconfig as a router I'd need to temporarily set a pc's IP as static, but w/in the range the Zyxel 'supports'. But if DHCP is off it doesn't support anything. I'd have to turn on DHCP and set an IP, SM and default gateway. To do so w/the web interface I'd obviously just use the IP I stuck on the Zyxel.

Hey but let me ask you this: as far as firewalls on the Zyxel, would it be useful to leave "filter multicast" running? I'd seen some other tips that say turn off all except that setting. Also they say to kill remote admin and port 8080.

Thanks very much for you help,

Mac

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

Correct on NAT, it won't matter as long as you don't connect anything to the WAN port.

Your router is still listening, and talking, on it's configured address (that you wrote on a label on the bottom, right?), it's just not inviting anyone else to it's subnet party with DHCP. That's why you need to statically address your PC in it's subnet to talk to it. It's still a router, but with nothing to route from or to. If you plug the WAN into the Internet and turn DHCP back on you'd have a router again. In fact, if you set the subnet and gateway in your current router's DHCP to the address of the Zyxel, and plugged the internet back into the WAN port, it would be a router again. I don't know why you might ever do that, but you could.

The firewall on the Zyxel is entirely useless at this point because no traffic is actually going "through" the router and firewall parts of the device. Currently, the entire box is supporting a little switch chip and playing dumb to everything else.

Remote admin is bad in 99%+ of all cases. There very few cases where it makes sense, usually in an enterprise setting that rarely uses that class of router. There are better ways to accomplish the same thing. Off is the appropriate setting.

#5 Mac29

Mac29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

Ok good to know re: NAT. I'll turn off firewall entirely and get on down the road.

Thank you Orecomm. Very much appreciate you help : )

Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users