Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB flash drive not detected in Windows Explorer, Disk Management, diskpart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PotatoEggy

PotatoEggy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

Hello,

I have a Blackweb 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive. Up until yesterday, it was working fine, until, when I unplugged it, stopped working (Yes, I did "safely remove" it).

The following day, I tried to view the contents of the flash drive, but nothing was showing up on Windows Explorer. Thinking that the port was dead or didn't have enough power, I switched it to another one. That didn't work too. Over the course of the day, I tried plugging it into a Chromebook and Windows 7/10 computers at my school. None of them could see it, except in "Devices and Printers". 

When I got home and inserted it, my Windows 7 PC "successfully installed driver software" for "Innostor NAND USB Flash Drive", although I've used it on that computer for a few months now. I've tried to access it in Disk Management ("No media"), diskpart ("No media"), and Devices and Printers (IS917). No problems can be detected by Windows, and it seems to recognise that it is a USB Mass Storage Device.

Is the flash drive gone for good? I've backed up all of the data on it, but any help is appreciated. I don't want to get a new one.

Edited by PotatoEggy, 16 April 2018 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:22 PM

download SD formatter v5  and see if it will recognize it and format it for you.

#3 PotatoEggy

PotatoEggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

download SD formatter v5  and see if it will recognize it and format it for you.

I'm not sure if you understand. Not even DISKPART can see it. The issue is not about formatting the disk, it's about enabling Windows to do anything with it. If I wanted to format it, even if I completely destroyed the partition table, I could still use diskpart to clean and wipe it. 

Also, after some searching, I cannot find the program that you suggested. Would you mind providing a link?

EDIT: Clarified some things

Edited by PotatoEggy, 17 April 2018 - 06:39 PM.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

the sd formatter is supposed to automatically fix some issues on troublesome devices.

I know it says for sd cards but ive used it on standard usb drives and have made them re-usable again, but i didn't take them apart to see if they just had sd cards installed in them themselves.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:21 AM

If diskpart doesn't see the drive then SD formatter will not either. I think the drive is dead as you tried to connect it on both a Chromebook and other Windows computers. From what I have googled, this drive is something Walmart sells. I would take it back to Walmart and ask for a new one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users