Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posting on an internet forum

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerQuestions

ComputerQuestions

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Hello.  I hope this is the right place to ask what I want to ask.  Basically, I was a registered member on this political forum, and one day, after insulting too many people, I got banned.  I wasn't trolling or otherwise being disruptive or anything, I got banned because I couldn't stand some of the people I insulted (it was a political forum after all).

Now, I want to re-register and start anew.  I believe I am a changed person.  However, I had the option of staying logged in in the browser, now every time I try to access the forum to register a new name, it won't let me.  It still has  me logged in under my old name, which was banned.

I am just wondering what I can do.  I want to start debating with people again.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

Every forum...has rules and operating procedures.

When "members" step outside themselves and violate or refuse to conform to such rules...the ultimate way of saying "goodbye" to such persons is to ban them.

Any questions about such forum rules, expected behavior, violations, etc...should be asked at that website.

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

You need to try and contact the forum administration and plead your case. To get round the remembered log-in problem use a different browser but if your previous username is on the banned list it willl still be there.

Have a look around the forum and see if there is a 'contactus' listed anywhere.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 RossTeagan

RossTeagan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:08 AM

As mentioned above, contact the forum moderator team and try to solve the issue with them.

Tech wise, try to delete your browser's cache history. And depending on the browser, go to settings and locate and delete the login details for that domain.

Tech Assistant at UnlockUnit

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:27 AM

Deleting browser history and cookies won't cut it. That's not what forums rely on to recognize members for this particular issue... That being said, I don't think a computer help FORUM is the right place to be asking or answering these questions... There's somewhat of a conflict of interest here, don't you think?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

What conflict of interest...can there possibly be...in answering the question properly by directing said person to contact the website in question?

Being banned at a given website...is not a universal.  OP is not banned from all Internet activity.  He is persona non grata at a given website based on exhibited behavior.  Any suggestion to attempt reversal of that status...at that website...in only logical, IMO.

Louis

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

What conflict of interest...can there possibly be...in answering the question properly by directing said person to contact the website in question?

Being banned at a given website...is not a universal.  OP is not banned from all Internet activity.  He is persona non grata at a given website based on exhibited behavior.  Any suggestion to attempt reversal of that status...at that website...in only logical, IMO.

Louis

By conflict of interest, I mean I would not tell a poster how to circumvent a ban. I was referring to the second phrase in post #4... I know what he'd have to do, but it would also help other banned members from Bleeping Computer to do the same... Is that what you want?

Here's an example of what I mean:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/banned.1208801/#post-9494872

Edited by Phantom010, 17 April 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:54 PM

Maybe this response post should be removed:

You wish to get past being banned?  New location, new computer, different email, new identity, and watch your forum behavior very carefully.  Very much to do.

Do you want to have your new identity banned?  Watch very carefully how you behave on the forum and also what other ID information you give and how.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

Well...the question raised by OP is clear in my mind...and my response to it is one that points in the proper direction.

I see no point in censoring members...because their responses to intentionally vague questions...differs from mine.

The only "interest" here...lies in providing fundamentally sound comments to those seeking assistance...as long as the desired information does not violate any forum rules/procedures.  I see none violated by the responses provided by any member in this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users