Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell battery dying, can laptop still function if batt die but plugged in?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mabelle

mabelle

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:14 PM

Hi i hope someone can advise me.

I have a dell Inspiron 15 5567 and the battery is dying (after only 1.5 years) according to the prompt messages that kept coming up, as well as how much it is draining very quickly after i plug out the cable. this laptop has a built in battery.

My question is,

1) can i not buy a replacement battery, leave it in there, and make sure my laptop is plugged into the power every minute i am using it? Will the dead battery not allow my laptop to be powered up even if i am plugged into power socket?

2) let's say laptop still works with a dead batt as long as i keep it plugged into wall power, it seemed that even if i keep laptop plugged into wall power while the dying batt is still struggling to live, the laptop constantly prompts me of low batt, so im thinking with that logic, if wall power is enough to keep laptop working, why then are the prompts coming on saying my laptop is gonna shut down due to low batt even when the laptop is plugged in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

Battery power for laptops, by design, is not the primry mode of usage.  Plugging the laptop into a power outlet still works, regardless of battery functionality or non-functionality...unless you have a hardware problem that ties the two together.

Louis

#3 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

Thank you Louis. I am still baffled at why then the laptop still prompts me its gonna shut down even when im plugged in wall power with the batt on a draining mode uncharging? Given that the wall power is plugged in, according to your advise, then it should take the wall power and not threaten to shut down? or am i missing something?

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:37 PM

so dells have this weird issue with dirt in the power connector on the computer side.   pull out the power plug and blow in or use canned compressed air and blow out the connector.

i pulled a connector apart once and found an IR detector in the connector mounted to the board.  so this explains why blowing it out would work on some models.

the connector type i'm talking about on your power cord is round or octagon shaped with a pin in the center of the connector.

edit:  i looked up the power connector and it is indeed the type i'm talking about.

Edited by mightywiz, 16 April 2018 - 05:40 PM.

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

The bottoms of the newer Dell's (that have no access doors) come off easily, so replacing that battery shouldn't be that difficult like they used to be. Be sure to use something like a credit card to split (wedge) the bottom off the top that has palm rest, Once you do that the battery is accessible

watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spldop-OLtY

This will show you how to get inside your Dell. I've had better luck using an old credit card instead of the little tool in the video.

Edited by Joe C, 16 April 2018 - 06:28 PM.

#6 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:40 AM

Thank you mightywiz and Joe C. Mightywiz u are right. The damn jack is a bit dodgy but not from dirt, it needed a bit of an angle to start charging.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

I you go to Dell website and enter the system tag number of the laptop you can download the oem service manual and it tells you exactly how to open the laptop to replace the battery.

My Dell XPS-M1530 had a modular power connector board which plugged into the system board and was no problem at all to replace once I was inside of the laptop.

My Dell XPS-M1530 battery was also in need of replacement and I had to remove the bottom of the laptop and once inside the battery replacement was easily accomplished.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

Edited by The-Toolman, 17 April 2018 - 07:50 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

but im not intending to replace the batt, i only want to use ac power to last til the laptop kaputt because its been 1.5 years and this dell quality is getting worse in recent years. even the keyboard starts to get wonky by 1 year, batt dying by 1 year, etc. it never was this obvious before

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:16 PM

A good indication that they are making their laptops cheaper, is that their is no longer any access doors provided on the bottom of these laptops. Personally I think it's outrageous not to be able to replace the battery without splitting the laptop apart

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hi i hope someone can advise me.

I have a dell Inspiron 15 5567 and the battery is dying (after only 1.5 years) according to the prompt messages that kept coming up, as well as how much it is draining very quickly after i plug out the cable. this laptop has a built in battery.

My question is,

1) can i not buy a replacement battery, leave it in there, and make sure my laptop is plugged into the power every minute i am using it? Will the dead battery not allow my laptop to be powered up even if i am plugged into power socket?

2) let's say laptop still works with a dead batt as long as i keep it plugged into wall power, it seemed that even if i keep laptop plugged into wall power while the dying batt is still struggling to live, the laptop constantly prompts me of low batt, so im thinking with that logic, if wall power is enough to keep laptop working, why then are the prompts coming on saying my laptop is gonna shut down due to low batt even when the laptop is plugged in?

When my battery died in my Dell Laptop I received a warning at first startup and also the option to no longer display messages about the battery so see if yours displays that option and if so opt out.

Does it shut down while using it with the power adapter plugged in. :scratchhead:

Try it and see and if not use as you would normally.

If the battery is failing and drains quickly it will shut down to keep from corrupting you OS.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 mabelle

mabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:22 AM

Hi Toolman

I figured that day after mightywiz pointed out, that it could be the ac jack. So i did a wiggle at it and realised it was the jack loose. But i have to make sure it keeps at a certain angle in order to keep it in contact point to charge the near end of life battery. I am frustrated because dell mid range laptops are getting worse, the size of the jack has shrunk from the last one i had, the batt is now 3 cells instaed of 6 or 8, the cost cutting is making every part last for not more than a year

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:02 AM

Unfortunately electronics isn't manufactured to last as it once was years ago. :(

#13 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hi Toolman

I figured that day after mightywiz pointed out, that it could be the ac jack. So i did a wiggle at it and realised it was the jack loose. But i have to make sure it keeps at a certain angle in order to keep it in contact point to charge the near end of life battery. I am frustrated because dell mid range laptops are getting worse, the size of the jack has shrunk from the last one i had, the batt is now 3 cells instaed of 6 or 8, the cost cutting is making every part last for not more than a year

How can you possibly buy a new laptop if your old one still works?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users