Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will this be secure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerQuestions

ComputerQuestions

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

Hello.  I have two computers at home, one is connected to the internet.  The other one, I want to keep it around to store private, personal stuff on it.  I don't want to risk having it be hacked, so I just hit the disconnect thing on the bottom right.  Assuming that there are hackers hacking into my main computer, will this second computer be left alone?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:46 PM

I'm just curious...what would make you think that "hackers"...would be interested in targeting your computer systems...when the amount and type of data on your systems...does not come close to any profile of the types of computer networks that are targets of hackers?

Food For Thought.

Do you have any definitive reasons/evidence...for thinking in this manner?

Louis

#3 STS-1

STS-1

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

As I understand it, if you have the second PC connected to your LAN, then it is at risk if someone gets onto your network....If you want to have a second computer to store private data on, make sure that it is isolated from the network (ie: it should not be part of the same network that the internet connected PC is on)

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

If you are really serious about this, what you do is totally disable all network and internet connections on that computer. By disable, I mean hacking the OS so that internet connection is impossible and is permanently non-existent. The set a BIOS password, as well as a system password, and make sure you are not operating as administrator.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users