Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0xc000000e error code after attempting a new restore point

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 757Pirate

757Pirate

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

My Dell Latitude E5400 suddenly re-opened after trying to set a new restore point to the Boot Manager Page and after giving only 3 options... 1 of course insert the windows installations disc and restart... of course I don't have one as it was preloaded.  Help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Post the exact wording of any error message, please.

Can you boot into safe mode?

What other options were presented onscreen?

Louis

#3 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Windows failed to start> A recent hardware of software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language setting, and then click "Next."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacture for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

No I cannot boot into safe mode :(

#4 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

I have discovered I do have the OEM number for my Windows 7.. but no disc.  I don't think I can create a disc but can use a USB.  Would that help in solving the issue?  Awaiting any reply to the initial inquiry and your response before I take any further steps.  I have invaluable information on the down computer that I don't want to lose.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

Can you tap F8 at boot, select Repair Computer, then do a Startup Repair? It may take up to three attempts to do the repair.

#6 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

nope... only get the original "Boot Manager"message I have posted

#7 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

As I initially noted, this came up after as I set a new earlier restore point and when it restarted I got this problem.... Everything worked just fine before I restarted.  My only reason for resetting restore point was I couldn't find my bookmarked favorites anywhere.. so thought I would just go back to where I had seen them last.

#8 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

ps.. FYI.. I am commucating with you through a secondary computer.. The downed computer is "inoperational" 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:37 PM

Firstly, the data on the nonoperational computer is the most important. Download Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Free on your good computer. Install and run the program. It will allow you to create a CD or USB bootable flash drive. When it initially loads you will get a dropdown box for the target computer's OS. Tap F12 at boot will allow you to select the USB flash drive or CD when booting. 

If you get a Window showing Password Recovery close it out and select the Recovery Suite icon on the desktop. There is a File Manager Included that can be used to copy the files from your hard drive to an external hard drive. You may need to attach the USB external while Lazesoft boots in order for it to be detected. Once you recover your data then there are other utilities on the disk that may get it to boot normally. There is also another boot disk that can be used to repair Windows boot problems if Lazesoft doesn't work. Don't use the boot repair utilities until you have recovered your data.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite-free.html

#10 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for responding.. I will follow these instructions in the a.m. if you don't mind.. I am currently putting 3 grandkids to bed..   will tackle project in the morning.. will you be available?  I appreciate and trust the instructions.. as I always do from BC.  Just curious.. what do you think the root problem here is?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

I will be available in the morning till about 10:30. Then after about 1:30

The error could indicate BCD corruption. BCD (boot configuration data) is required to boot. Or it could be the file system itself that is corrupted.

Edit: Don't download from Cnet. I will give the direct download link.

http://www.lazesoft.com/downloads/lsrshsetup.exe

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 April 2018 - 07:03 PM.

#12 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

What time zone are you in?  I will be up fairly early... and yes.. I NEVER download from Cnet.. learned my lessons long ago when I discovered BC... learned a lot since then from you all...  And yes... I suspected BCD.. I just didn't want to proceed withough educated guidance from you all.. BEST!!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:22 PM

I am in the eastern time zone. I get up fairly late, about 8 am.

#14 757Pirate

757Pirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

OK... after spending better part of afternoon working with Lazesoft... I did finally get it loaded onto the down computer.  It will boot using the USB however, I still have no access, but a new error message.... 0xc0000098 - "

Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt."

Again, thw originial incident happened after attempting to set a new restore point.. and a recent Windows update.

I do not have the windows installation disc.. but do have the OEM #.  Where do I go from here?  Or another "repair" option?  

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

You should not have received that error. Lazesoft boots outside of Windows so it should have been possible to recovery any data on the drive. You downloaded the Lazesoft on the good computer and created the USB flash drive with Windows 7 as the target OS, correct?

Your Data is still on the hard drive, correct?

Edit: Is there a COA sticker on the computer with a legible key?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2018 - 04:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users