Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I able to upgrade my video card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luxfordthelion

Luxfordthelion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:05 AM

I was given this computer a while ago and would like to upgrade the video card (and more later on). I would love to play more games such as World of Warcraft and other related games. Am I able to upgrade my video card? If so, what would you recommend for a college student on a budget? haha.  

It is currently running on Windows 10 64-bit

CPU:
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz

Motherboard:
Dell Inc. 0C27VV A02

Graphics Card:
Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - VDDM 1.1)

RAM:
802C0000802C - DIMM
Clock - 1066 MHz
Capacity - 2048 MB  

Let me know if you need any more information! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

well....currently you don't have a graphics card.....so you wouldn't be upgrading, you would be installing one,

pretty much any graphics card would fit, it really depends on how much you want to spend, do you want HD?

Edited by mikey11, 16 April 2018 - 08:12 AM.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

I run Intel integrated graphics on my old Dell OptiPlex computers and for basic normal use Intel integrated graphics works well.

If you aren't doing anything that requires intense graphics I would continue using what is working now with Windows 10. 

Since you are a college student on a budget my advice is to wait until you have the cash on hand to purchase a better computer.

This is only my opinion.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:30 PM

Just to throw this out there... In the meantime you could join a computer club, browse goodwill stores or chummy up to someone like in an IT dept. and attempt to be given/barter for any card that fits the slot. I'm seeing some really old posts for this thing w/say an HD 6870. But like mikey said, pretty much any card you find is going to be worth a shot, unless it's even older than that era.

Might not get you playing that game but you will find a card eventually. Seek and you shall find. Find something you can trade for.

Cheers,

Mac

#5 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:28 AM

That mobo has 1 PCIe x16 slot available.  I think this is similar to the board in your PC, may be a newer rev though: https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-Optiplex-780-LGA-775-Socket-T-Intel-0C27VV-Motherboard/127350905?rmvSB=true

I would just shop around for any good used older GPU. 

Not sure how much room you have in that case, so probably best to stay away from the higher end dual slot card configurations with massive fans and coolers.  Some cards also need an extra power supply connection, so be aware of that, as well as the extra wattage it could draw from your OEM power supply.  Best to stay conservative on that point as well.

Here are some examples of used GPUs available on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Computer-Components-Parts/175673/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&Compatible%2520Port%252FSlot=PCI%2520Express%2520x16&_nkw=pcie%20x16%20video%20card&_dcat=27386&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Edited by zzz00m, 22 April 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,883 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

Well there are a few low profile cards you can buy too, and at low cost.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500424

This one here will do, your machine is quite old so nothing too high end will help.

The used cards route is good too but I have issues with ebay... way too many scammers.

The gtx 1030 is the best current gen card for such a setup thanks to cryptocurrency miners (bitcoin) and you dont want anything too high end.

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 April 2018 - 12:30 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:06 PM

Well there are a few low profile cards you can buy too, and at low cost.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500424

This one here will do, your machine is quite old so nothing too high end will help.

The used cards route is good too but I have issues with ebay... way too many scammers.

The gtx 1030 is the best current gen card for such a setup thanks to cryptocurrency miners (bitcoin) and you dont want anything too high end.

I wouldn't consider $120 low cost for a "college student on a budget".  With all due respect, that is probably more than the old PC is worth.

Plus if you stick with only "Top Rated Plus" sellers on eBay, you are not likely to run into a scammer.  Many used items are listed by top sellers and I have never had a single problem that way.

Edited by zzz00m, 22 April 2018 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users