Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot off cd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

I made a CD from the files for MS Office  Home and Student  by collecting the files and pasting them into a CD.

It takes about 5 minute to finally boot because I did not make it bootable with Rufus.

Is it possible to do so now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

What are you trying to do?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

I had made a CD to install MS Home and Student 2010 and although ii does install, it takes 5 minutes to load.

I think this is because I copied the files from the program and pasted them into the CD.

I do not know the difference between Rufus, ImgBurn and Power ISO.

I think I needed one of these to make the files bootable. 

I am trying to make  media bootable to install MS Home and Student. What I have works but takes so long to boot.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:00 AM

You're not likely to be able to create an installation CD by just copying files out of an existing Windows installation.

If you have a license for the Home and Student that will allow you to install on multiple computers, you should be able to go through your Microsoft account and install online on the second computer.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

I don't think I explained myself. I do not need to do anything because the sluggish CD did install Office.

I was just wondering how to crate a bootable media for next time as I do have the files on the CD and thought I could use Rufus or some program, even in Windows 10, to create this media.      It is sort of a learning experience and an attempt to create the media.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,790 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:31 AM

Why would you bother doing this?  You can still download the installation media for earlier versions of Office here:  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=403713

You do need to have your product key to do so.

Office is not "bootable" in any meaningful sense of that word.  You cannot fire up a machine from the installation media for an application program (or at least most of them, there are some recovery applications that are an exception).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

I insert my CD and in 5 minutes office loads and installs with the key. That is done and fine.

I was just trying to learn how to make a bootable disc from files and was using this as an exaample.

I had briefly tried ImgBurn & Rufus, and was unsure of what each did. I think Win 10 can actually burn an ISO to disc but am unsure if it is bootable.

Long short, I am trying to get a grasp about making media bootable b/c I will be getting a machine with UEFI and currently have the older BIOS. I know media has to be bootable after you disable secure boot. This is new to me and I was attempting to learn about these features.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,790 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

PDN,

You don't create bootable media out of just any random collection of files, that's not how it works.

Bootable media is exclusively (to my knowledge, anyway) created from an ISO (image) file.  Bootable media has not changed one bit and you should not touch the UEFI settings on any new machine unless you have to.  You certainly do not need to disable secure boot unless you were trying to install an operating system that won't install with it enabled.

There are all sorts of utilities that create bootable media, whether to a USB drive or optical media.   I prefer Rufus to create bootable USB media and use Anyburn to burn an image (ISO) file to optical media as bootable.  Anyburn also has a feature to create bootable USB media from an image file as well.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:17 AM

That is useful information; thank you.

While trying to learn about this topic I read that a stick has to be formatted before using UEFI.  I did not know that.

I am putting little pieces together until I get the general idea.

Edited by PDN, 16 April 2018 - 09:23 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,790 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:27 AM

Any USB drive has to be formatted before using it, period.  Virtually all USB drives come preformatted these days.

Any utility that creates bootable USB media will format/reformat the drive if such is necessary.

You're making this way more complicated than it actually is.

~ Mark Twain

#11 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:59 AM

Sorry, we all have to earn sometime and I though that was the purpose of a forum.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

Well...just what is it that you are trying to do?

The phrases "bootable" and "MS Office" don't play on the same team...they don't even play the same game.

Office is an application that needs to be installed on Windows.  There is no such thing as a "bootable MS Office CD or DVD", since there is no way to boot into an application/program.

The only thing that a computer system boots into...is the O/S, which would be whatever version of Windows you have installed.  The MS Office application...installs in Windows...same as any other application.

Louis

#13 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:40 PM

peace all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users