Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow right-click on specific user

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lirabeth

lirabeth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:19 AM

Hello and Hi!

I've searched the forum for answer but didn't find any so I'll open a new thread.

I had an malware infection and run Malwarebyte 3 days ago.

So, after deleting the registry file that was infected, my right-click on one specific user run very slow.

On the other hand, the other user right-click just work find,

I tried comparing registry for both user, and both has the same content.

Here is the directory, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers.

I've tried restoring system file using System Restore and it took very long so I force shut down the PC.

My last option would be refreshing my PC which is really painful and a very long process.

Any help would be much aprreciated. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

Hello,

check them just in case

download and install slim ccleaner https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/slim don't install any extras if they are offered

open ccleaner, tools, startup, context menu, if any seem suspect, disable them

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

There is more information needed.  To provide this please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

LUDoziL.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

My last option would be refreshing my PC which is really painful and a very long process.

I'm going to suggest that you perform a Windows 10 Reset.  I have done this many times, it really shouldn't take a great deal of time unless there are other hardware problems.

How to perform a Windows 10 Reset

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

O7p5cKL.png

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

VoWZmo6.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 lirabeth

lirabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:30 AM

Hi RokTV :). I've run CCleaner and there is no suspected program on the startup. Thanks for your help anyway.

Hi dc3. Here's my result http://speccy.piriform.com/results/egGnEtmLpYvsqBTB8A2vMtg for the user thats having right-click delay issue.

And the reason I really don't want to reset is due to my saved game campaign and I don't wanna lose them. Lol. Thanks for taking your time.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

I can appreciate the time you have invested in installing these programs which makes this suggestion seem unreasonable.  But when you deleted the registry file this apparently caused a problem which I suspect effected the registry.  To repair the registry you would normally do a reset, resfresh, or a fresh installation, but you are not interested in these options.  You said that you had tried to do a System Restore but gave up because it was taking so long.  This is the best option for you since the other options aren't appealing.  Please try running the System Restore again.  Pick a restore point dated prior to this problem, if possible select a restore point prior to you attempted restore.  Let this go until it either finishes or stops.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:27 PM

Hi, there are two registry entries at play here. Boot to the user account that is NOT having a problem, go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy each cmd individually, and right click anywhere in the cmd prompt window select "paste" the cmd's will append to the prompt. Press enter.

reg query "HKCR\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers" /s > 0 & notepad 0

reg query "HKCR\Directory\background\shellex" /s > 0 & notepad 0

You will have two notepads each having the context of the queried keys (perfectly safe we are only reading what is there). 

Switch users to the problem account and repeat the process, running both cmd's.

Please post both outputs here indicating from what account they came.

#7 lirabeth

lirabeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

Hi dc3! Thanks for spending your time helping others in need. Thanks for your info. Much obliged for your assistance.

And hello jenae! Thanks for lending your hand. Really appreaciate it.  :)

Its looked like Malwarebyte messed up the registry and after a scan with CCleaner, it reported Missing DLL and ActiveX and Class issue that is related with powershell. Maybe.

I clean selected registry and boom. right-click work just fine.

I don't know if it is really related and make sense as what it does is basically delete the registry. Lol.

Glad I didn't have to refresh my PC.

Here's what they delete.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted]
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cm108.cpl"=dword:00000010

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\provtool.exe\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\provtool.exe\shell\open\command]
@=hex(2):22,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,\
  00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,70,00,\
  72,00,6f,00,76,00,74,00,6f,00,6f,00,6c,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,\
  00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,2f,00,73,00,6f,00,75,00,72,00,63,00,65,00,\
  20,00,53,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,4f,00,70,00,65,00,6e,00,00,00

Thanks RokTV, dc3 and jenae. May your help not go unrewarded!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users