Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ANOTHER firmware update???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

I hope the answer to this one is as simple as I think it is.

I read the notice about the CVE-2017-5703 flash flaw, and wondered if that would require another firmware update for either of my two computers.  Both have 4th generation Intel CPUs.  Both are Haswell 22 nm.

The desktop has an i7-4790 processor, Haswell 22 nm technology

The laptop has an i7-4800U processor, Haswell ULT 22 nm technology

If I understand the article correctly, being 4th generation these processors should NOT require a firmware update - meaning, I take it, that they are not vulnerable to the CVE-2017-5703 flaw.

Is this correct?

I thought i7-4790 was part of the "Mobile" series??  or did I misread the processor list?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

You can find a complete list of Intel CPUs that are/were vulnerable to the Meltdown and Spectre issue here.  I suggested were vulnerable because Microsoft's 1709 update should have resolved this issue, at least this is according to Microsoft.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

So far as I can see, that list pertains to vulnerabilities CVE-2017-5754 ("Meltdown"), CVE-2017-5753 ("Spectre variant 1") and CVE-2017-5715 ("Spectre variant 2").  Those have been addressed by software mitigations (in the 1709 update) and by an Intel firmware upgrade (OEM versions in early February).  An Intel/OEM firmware upgrade is available for each of my systems; one is already installed and the other will be installed very shortly.

My question specifically addressed the "new" vulnerability CVE-2017-5703, the so-called "flash flaw" which, as I understand it, might permit an attacker to modify the firmware on the chip.  The list of processor models vulnerable to this flaw did NOT include 4th generation Intel Core processors, so far as I could determine.  I was asking for reassurance that such is indeed the case.  Both of my "old hat" computers have 4th generation Intel Core processors (i7-4790 and i7-4800 in desktop and laptop respectively).

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:52 PM

@saluqi

I think you'll find good news when you take a moment to read BleepingComputer (April 15 2018) Security News article by Catalin Cimpanu:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/intel-spi-flash-flaw-lets-attackers-alter-or-delete-bios-uefi-firmware/

intelbc.jpg

Your 4th generation processors are not on the list! Yay!

#5 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:35 PM

Thanks softeyes!

I had already been there, read Catalin's article, looked at that list, didn't find 4th generation Intel Core processors, and heaved a sigh of relief.

Indeed Catalin's article, and that list, was what prompted my original question.  I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being prematurely optimistic <G>.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users