Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Camera connector in a laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:54 PM

I have an Acer Aspire laptop with a bad video cable. It is causing one of those annoying vertical lines in the screen. I'd buy a new cable and try to replace it myself, but I don't understand the connector that runs up to the camera. It looks like a little block of plastic with wires wrapped around it. Does anyone know what this connector is and how to safely remove and re-connect it? If I can figure that out, I think I can handle the rest of the operation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

Is this in the area of the hinge??

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

Electronically, almost all of the laptop webcams are USB devices and there will be two ends; one on the system board and another that runs up behind the LCD, plugging into the webcam itself.

It would help to know the full model number of the laptop?  (Acer only makes about 3,000 different models!)

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

Acer Aspire 5755, it's a fairly old model. This is at the top of the lid, where the built-in camera is located. You can see it even without removing the display panel. If the connection is USB, it's not the actual connector, just the wiring.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

What you are describing is the ferrite core which has the camera's wires looped around it to reduce noise (thanks to the FCC).  The actual connector to the webcam is about 3/4" past it.

Here is a link to your service manual:

https://paulov.ru/files/2013/03/728-SG_Aspire_5755_5755G.pdf

I would mention;though, that the vast majority of the times I have seen a line on an LCD display, it is the LCD panel itself that has a problem.  Bad cables have been very rare and usually change the display as you rock the LCD forward or backwards.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users