Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best versions for Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919 and Acer Aspire One 722-BZ454?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

im about to get started with the command line...the reason i began this journey

If you want to learn about Command Line, you might find this site useful ... http://linuxcommand.org/

It's also available as a free pdf file download ... http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxcommand/files/TLCL/17.10/TLCL-17.10.pdf/download

Edited by Gary R, 01 May 2018 - 12:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:18 AM

.im about to get started with the command line...the reason i began this journey...

Heres some light reading.

Linux Command Line Cheat Sheet

https://www.cheatography.com/davechild/cheat-sheets/linux-command-line/

Learning bash scripting for beginners

https://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/learning-bash-scripting-for-beginners/

A fun way to learn terminal is to play a game.

Bandit

https://overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/

Linux Ebooks

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/633051/have-links-to-good-free-linux-libreoffice-e-books-share-them-here/

#18 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

@hazelludlow, It does not appear to me that there is any support for Mint 18 with "AMD Radeon HD 6250", feel free to allow others to verify this.  Over the years I've had fits with the AMD Radeon HD Series.  The first time I could not even install, and tried over and over, finally to find the support info and realized that it just would not work. 

Acer Aspire One 722-BZ454

AMD C-50 1GHz Processor

2GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6250

Windows 7 Home Premium

You would have to install Mint 17.2 or 17.3 to be able to use Linux Mint or Ubuntu's.  And 17 Series is only supported till April 2019.  You could also Dual Boot it and keep Windows 7 if you wanted, which will be good for at least early 2020.

Here is the Edition Page so you can choose if you want 32 or 64bit, and I would choose Xfce as I think you know now.

If it were me I would update the BIOS Before you torch Windows.

You may be able to use Puppy Linux but I forget if there is support for this graphics card there either.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#19 zbuster225

zbuster225

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

@ pcpunk

im glad you caught me on that...i was just gonna install Mint, being that the specs are similar enough...okay, all...here's the netbook specs...

AMD C-50 1GHz Processor

2GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6250

Windows 7 Home Premium

as far as Windows goes, i have a desktop that has Windows 10 and another laptop that also has Windows 10...thats why i was just going to turn the netbook into a Linux rig that i could haul around and use the Satellite while at home...

you all have been awesome...thanks so much for this...

@Nick  it's been great...strange how a Linux GUI is so much like WIndows, yet different at the same time...im about to get started with the command line...the reason i began this journey...

Were you able to install the most recent one or did you have to go back a few versions?

Also I can't believe Ubuntu wasn't suggested at all!

#20 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

That's because most users here on BC Linux / Unix Section uses Linux Mint. 

No not every user, I use several different Linux Distros and have used Linux Mint.

Linux Mint is a good Linux Distro  to start learning Linux:thumbup2:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#21 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

Were you able to install the most recent one or did you have to go back a few versions?

1. Yes, it would be nice to know what hazelludlow actually installed, I assume Mint Xfce 18.3?  The first machine in question was Intel based, which...there was probably no need to revert to an earlier distro.  The second machine in question may need an older version.

2. If you had looked at the first Post you would see that the specs are not good enough for Ubuntu, well, for the most part.

specs: Intel Celeron

2.16GHz, 1MB L2, 667MHz FSB

GL40 Express Chipset

2GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#22 zbuster225

zbuster225

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

1. Yes, it would be nice to know what hazelludlow actually installed, I assume Mint Xfce 18.3?  The first machine in question was Intel based, which...there was probably no need to revert to an earlier distro.  The second machine in question may need an older version.

2. If you had looked at the first Post you would see that the specs are not good enough for Ubuntu, well, for the most part.

specs: Intel Celeron

2.16GHz, 1MB L2, 667MHz FSB

GL40 Express Chipset

2GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM 

Looking at the specs is where the question about going back a few versions came from ;-)

#23 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

@zbuster225, gotcha.  I was just waiting for the OP to come back with that info as it was just this morning the reply was made.  More important to me is the first install type, we don't even know that yet.  I'm pretty confident that he will no be able to install Ubuntu 16.04 at all.  You can run it live mind you, but the install will most likely fail.  And may be only 14.04.2 will work.  I don't know because I got frustrated with those computers and don't bother putting linux on them any more.  Not really a big fan of AMD APU's on laptops either.

Good night

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#24 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:35 PM

hello all...

i have yet to install any flavor of Linux on the AMD netbook...still gathering recommendations and advice...Windows just moves very slow...

bests

#25 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

""Windows just moves very slow...""........  :hysterical:

truer words never spoken !!!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#26 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

hello all...

i have yet to install any flavor of Linux on the AMD netbook...still gathering recommendations and advice...Windows just moves very slow...

bests

Unfortunately, that's not going to change, until you go with a Linux install. :thumbup2:

You can always boot these from a Flash drive, or if needed, a DVD & run in Live Mode before installing, this can allow you to see which one you'll like the best & runs good on your hardware. 

Be sure to create a Full drive backup to an external before doing anything, to include any Rescue media needed to restore the image. Also create the OEM Recovery media set, usually a 16GB Flash drive or 3 to 5 DVD's are needed, using + or -R DVD's, not the RW type, the utility will reject these. It's important to have both, because if one method fails, there's another option. Although some has done so (many would regret later), never install Linux w/out any method of recovery, by chance should you later desire to sell the computer, it's worth much more with a running Windows install than w/out it. That's one reason to create a backup, or simply swap the drive, these are low in cost, can store the Windows drive and use another for Linux. This method is good when there's an extra drive laying around & doesn't know how to backup the computer. 

Glad that I looked back at the first page, while there has been success with the original computer, are we now talking about a new one? If so, time to open a new Topic in regards to it. Huge difference between an 'old Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919' & the one below from Post #15.

@ pcpunk

im glad you caught me on that...i was just gonna install Mint, being that the specs are similar enough...okay, all...here's the netbook specs...

AMD C-50 1GHz Processor

2GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6250

Windows 7 Home Premium

as far as Windows goes, i have a desktop that has Windows 10 and another laptop that also has Windows 10...thats why i was just going to turn the netbook into a Linux rig that i could haul around and use the Satellite while at home...

you all have been awesome...thanks so much for this...

@Nick  it's been great...strange how a Linux GUI is so much like WIndows, yet different at the same time...im about to get started with the command line...the reason i began this journey...

It's confusing (& rude) to everyone who dives in to assist in the middle of a Topic, only to discover the OP has swapped computers. :(

We don't mind helping anyone, yet please keep it to one computer per Topic, unless in a section such as Networking (example) where all computers may be affected. OS installation doesn't fall under this category & should had created a new Topic at Post #15 (quoted above). 

I believe the current Topic is solved, the OP has a working Linux install on the Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919, time to move on. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#27 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:54 AM

While we encourage members to start separate topics for each computer to avoid confusion, and to make information easier for others to find, due to the way the discussion has developed in this topic I have edited the title so that discussion of both computers can ensue. :)

#28 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

@ Cat  i get everything you have said, save the rude part...

@AI  thank you...

okay...have pretty much narrowed the distro to Peppermint or Lubuntu...both, apparently, run well with the AMD processor, and other Aspire One owners have testified...

Edited by hazelludlow, 03 May 2018 - 12:30 AM.

#29 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

okay...have pretty much narrowed the distro to Peppermint or Lubuntu...both, apparently, run well with the AMD processor, and other Aspire One owners have testified...

Remember what I said, which includes any Ubuntu based distros.  You most likely won't be able to install anything but Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS and 14.04.2.  But then I don't even think you will be able to allow Kernel Upgrades in .2, or else you will loose graphics, so you may be better off with .1.

Mint is different, you won't lose graphics due to the way Mint works, so this would be my Professional Advice to install:

"Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" - Xfce (64-bit)"

Have fun!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users