Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best versions for Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919 and Acer Aspire One 722-BZ454?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 hazelludlow

hazelludlow

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

hullo, all...

my dad has recently thrown down an old Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919 to me and i would like to wipe Windows Vista and install a Linux distro on  it...

specs: Intel Celeron
           2.16GHz, 1MB L2, 667MHz FSB
           GL40 Express Chipset
           2GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM 

any and all recommendations are welcome...

bests, and thank you in advance,

Edited by Al1000, 02 May 2018 - 05:48 AM.
add Acer Aspire One 722-BZ454 to title

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:44 PM

I would suggest, as a starting point, that you try Mint 18 XFCE. Mint should run perfectly well on that hardware and the XFCE variant is lighter weight than other versions like Cinnamon. There are a considerable number of distros which are even lighter on resource demand but they generally are not as user friendly as Mint.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:30 AM

I'd Recommend Peppermint OS 8 or 7. It is also a Mint variant but its desktop Environment is LXDE.

I'm currently running Peppermint OS 8 on an old Gateway with 1.5gb RAM and it's smooth as butter :P

Edited by Viper_Security, 16 April 2018 - 01:48 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:33 AM

I find Mint's Xfce very nice but I have not experience with the others.  Also, Xfce 18.3 has an amazing Default Screen Saver.  Some may not care, but I love it!  Go to the below page, choose 32 or 64bit and then click on it and find the "Mirror" Closest to you.

Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Xfce

Directions for Downloading and Installing Mint.

One thing you should decide is whether you will run 32 or 64bit.  Running 64bit is better, especially if you get more RAM in the future.  You computer is able to hold 4GB of RAM, so I would use the 64bit and upgrade the RAM ASAP unless that is not feasible for you.

Beware, as I found out recently, the boot sequence on Xfce 18.3 is a little weird at least on my computer.  The screen will be black for short periods during boot, which I think is because we are installing on old computers.  But the Operating System is super!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:29 AM

@ hazelludlow:-

Welcome to BC, and the 'Linux & Unix' forum!

There are literally 100's of Linux distros out there.....but here on BC you will almost always find Linux Mint recommended for beginners, over & above everything else. It may not necessarily be the best distro for every use-case, but almost everybody here runs it (and therefore there is plenty of experience in working with it, installing it, running & updating/upgrading it).

I myself use a tiny Linux distro called 'Puppy' Linux.....but I wouldn't recommend it to complete beginners because it's just too different to Windows. Most folks that come to Linux do so from a Windows background, and therefore some degree of appearance and operating familiarity makes a great deal of sense. Those of us who know what we're doing can make Puppy not only sit up and beg, but also ride a unicycle across a tightrope, juggling half-a-dozen different items, while at the same time singing an aria from, say, 'La Boheme'!

(That example was, perhaps, a bit OTT, but it serves to illustrate the point that with Linux, you are in control. Not some faceless corporation who think they know better than you how you want to use your machine.....)

Mint is very similar in appearance to Windows; this single point alone makes a lasting impression on many first-timers, since it's comforting & familiar. Very important when you're embarking on a journey which, to many Windows users, is akin to practising voodoo & consorting with the devil!

It's also why I myself recommend Mint..... even though I don't use it..! Because it helps to dispel the myths that generations of Windoze users have heard about Linux, and fosters a good impression to begin with. So; try it out by all means, and take the advice given by these good folks on here safe in the knowledge that they do know what they're talking about.....and have no intentions of leading you astray.

Their only fault (if any) is common to many such fora. Over-enthusiasm..!!  :lol:  (Though I have faith they'll try their very best not to swamp you with too much information at once...)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 16 April 2018 - 08:36 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:53 AM

Linux Mint 18 Xfce is an excellent choice for an all around Linux Distro regardless of a users experience level.

I use it and it works well on low powered computers and on high powered computers old and new.

Once you've gotten the feel of how Linux does things then you can start to investigate and try out other Linux Distros.

Edited by The-Toolman, 16 April 2018 - 08:54 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

I'd Recommend Peppermint OS 8 or 7. It is also a Mint variant but its desktop Environment is LXDE.

I'm currently running Peppermint OS 8 on an old Gateway with 1.5gb RAM and it's smooth as butter :P

I have to agree Peppermint is another excellent Linux Distro for anyone.

I'm running Peppermint 7 (64bit) on this old relic no complaints. :thumbup2:

Spoiler

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:23 PM

well, thank you all very much...

i will begin this journey with Mint...

wish me luck...

bests,

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 23 April 2018 - 04:59 PM

You can try a few distro's by running them live from CD DVD or USB, Do you know how to create a live disk? If you need help please feel free to ask.

Good luck.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 03:58 AM

well, thank you all very much...

i will begin this journey with Mint...

wish me luck...

bests,

I've been running it since mid 2009 & has served my needs quite well. Linux Mint MATE (formerly Main or Gnome edition) is my main distro, although have ran the others (except LMDE). MATE uses hardly no more resources than Xfce, but Cinnamon & KDE requires more due to more graphical effects. 

If you want a minimal system (no Office & other free Linux perks), go Xfce.

If you want a full fledged Linux Mint that has Office & jam packed with software, MATE is the best of the two.

Should you require assistance, and you will, always feel free to ask, someone's usually around. :)

That said, the one thing needed most for your security is to be sure and enable the UFW Firewall, will load on every boot. To do so, open the Terminal (small dark box on left bottom of screen) & type of copy/paste the below line in bold, then your password when promoted. Note that you'll not see any movement of the password, not so much as dots, this is for your security. Below is the command that every LInux Mint (or any based upon Ubuntu) needs to be using. 

sudo ufw enable

It's best to do this before updating the system, but if already installed, it's OK, can still be done. My point being, the earlier, the better & it's 100% free. :thumbsup:

Good Luck with Linux Mint! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,746 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:23 PM

If you want a minimal system (no Office & other free Linux perks), go Xfce.

Actually, Xfce has always had AbiWord word processor, and now has a full Office Suite in LibreOffice.  Very nice nowadays cat, you should try Xfce, 18.3 is by far the best one ever IMO.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:38 PM

@Nick  Yes, i learned about how to Live Boot...wasn't sure if i wanted to try it, but i might check out Peppermint as well...thanks much...

@ cat  Have done...thanks!

just yesterday, my mother gave me her old netbook...i could keep Windows 7 on it, but it does run slow and i was thinking about using the Satellite as my home learner (it gets a whopping 2.5 hour battery life) and the netbook as something portable to kick around with...ive put Mint on the Satellite and will probably try out Peppermint and maybe something else on the netbook...

so far, this has been really fun...

bests,

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

.ive put Mint on the Satellite

Well done how do you like it so far?

If memory serves me right you need to enable the firewall if you have not already done so, Open terminal and type the following command

sudo ufw enable

Then hit enter, It will ask you for your password, type that in and hit enter, this will start your firewall and create a script that starts it every time you boot Mint.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,746 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

@Nick  Yes, i learned about how to Live Boot...wasn't sure if i wanted to try it, but i might check out Peppermint as well...thanks much...

@ cat  Have done...thanks!

just yesterday, my mother gave me her old netbook...i could keep Windows 7 on it, but it does run slow and i was thinking about using the Satellite as my home learner (it gets a whopping 2.5 hour battery life) and the netbook as something portable to kick around with...ive put Mint on the Satellite and will probably try out Peppermint and maybe something else on the netbook...

so far, this has been really fun...

bests,

If it were me, I would keep Windows 7 around for the things that cannot be done in Linux, or harder to do in Linux.  And, Netbooks seem to be problematic but you can get the Model Number and let some of the folks here look up how it works with Linux.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:02 AM

@ pcpunk

im glad you caught me on that...i was just gonna install Mint, being that the specs are similar enough...okay, all...here's the netbook specs...

Acer Aspire One 722-BZ454

AMD C-50 1GHz Processor

2GB DDR3 RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6250

Windows 7 Home Premium

as far as Windows goes, i have a desktop that has Windows 10 and another laptop that also has Windows 10...thats why i was just going to turn the netbook into a Linux rig that i could haul around and use the Satellite while at home...

you all have been awesome...thanks so much for this...

@Nick  it's been great...strange how a Linux GUI is so much like WIndows, yet different at the same time...im about to get started with the command line...the reason i began this journey...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users