Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sporadic System Crash with NO BSOD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TerlinguaDragon

TerlinguaDragon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:56 AM

'kay, I'm at my wits end - and since I only have half of them to begin with, I'm in trouble.

Almost without fail, once a day my system will crash, no notice, no BSOD, no nothing - feels like someone pulled the plug.

ESET says that I have no problems; malwarebytes says no malware.

CPUID Hardware monitor shows nothing out of the norm; 

CrystalDiskInfo shows no problems (all three drives are running 30°-35°C)

Chkdsk shows no problems on the system drive, the two external are older drives but Crystal still indicates Good.

Windows error log show *nothing* when the system crashes! But after restarting shows:

The last shutdown success status was false.  The last boot's success status was true.

The previous system shutdown at 08:36:12 on 04/15/2018 was unexpected.

It appears to be completely program independent; today I was in VS 2017 modifying a program, yesterday I was reading mail (Outlook 365), previously I've been playing solitaire or 0AD, sometimes the system has been idle with Outlook and Google Chrome inactive but up.

Sometimes it crashes within an hour or so of noot, sometimes not until late in the day / evening.

As I said, I'm at a loss ... nothing I've looked at give me any indication of a reason.  Check my profile, I'm reasonably computer intelligent.

One possible item to note, I *am* completely off grid with only solar power / battery back up but a clean signal from / through the inverter.  I might suspect this if it weren't for the timing of the crash.  

I'm open to any decent ideas and / or request for additional information and, of course, suggestions!

Edited by hamluis, 17 April 2018 - 10:47 AM.
Merged posts - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Is this a laptop or desktop? Please follow these instructions https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ regardless if you're experiencing BSODs.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 TerlinguaDragon

TerlinguaDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

@bwv848, as you requested.

and to answer your question, it's a tower (desktop)

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   301.47KB   4 downloads

Speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OR3REj1ZCw261Qwxzh8sqAP

Edited by TerlinguaDragon, 17 April 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Restart the machine, select ESC and then F2 from the BIOS system startup menu. That will allow you to run HP's built-in hardware diagnostics. Run the "Extensive System Test."

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 TerlinguaDragon

TerlinguaDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:40 PM

Argh!!!  Something like 8 hours later and they all passed!

I saved the log files but I'll be <??> if I can figure out where they were put.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:49 AM

How old is the machine? Is it still under warranty? Can you try plugging your computer in another wall outlet?

#7 TerlinguaDragon

TerlinguaDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

More or less in order:

The line of HP 500-314 was released in May of 2014, so I bought it sometime shortly after that.  As a 4 year old system I realize that it's reaching an appropriately "old age" but living on SocSec, I wasn't ready to replace it yet (blast it!)

Nope, long out of warranty.

Possibly, but not good.  The trailer I'm living is, as I said earlier, on solar power and has been reconfigured to have limited 120v outlets.  To go to another outlet, I'd have to literally rearrange my living room.  My feeling is that it has something to do with my power supply (batteries through an inverter, not the computer PS) but absolutely nothing else seems to be affected.

I think you're seeing what I've been seeing, there's nothing - literally nothing - that's apparent that's causing the computer to reset but it does.  What I can see of the logs shows that as far as the computer is concerned it's been ignominiously unplugged without benefit of a shutdown. 

@BWV848, I appreciate the effort you've extended on this.  Since it's normally a literally, once a day happening I'll live with it for a while longer ... I was hoping that you (or someone) might see something obvious that I've been overlooking.  Unless you can think of something else - let's let this go ...  It's quite obviously not an obvious problem.  //al

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:38 AM

Ah, I missed the fact that you were living in a trailer. :) This definitely could be part of the problem. Have you tried plugging in some expendable device into the same wall outlet? Does it turn off "by itself" as well?

#9 TerlinguaDragon

TerlinguaDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:13 PM

Ooops!  I think I assumed that when I said I was living completely off grid in the desert, you'd know that it was a trailer.  (( How I expected you to know is beyond me, but ... most of us out here are in trailers. ))  

When it was remodeled by the previous owner, several outlets were (intentionally??) left disconnected from the power distribution box.  Why that was ... well, who knows??  I've rewired some over by the stove and find that a device like a coffee pot with a clock/timer, for example, simply don't work on that outlet. My small microwave does but my bigger one doesn't work at all; my computer does and my ham radio does on other outlets ... just the computer does it's magical "reset" about once a day.  Does that sound "slightly inconsistent, yep, does to me too!   (( hope that makes sense, yes, I'm discussing two different outlets on two different circuits ))

Initially I used this outlet for a lamp without a problem and had the computer set up across the room.  Found it was much more convenient to have the computer on the coffee bar between the kitchen and the living room.  

With what I'd already done and with what you've suggested, I'm ready to say that I've got a 'gremlin' in the works somewhere.  Does it irritate me when I'm working on something and the computer reboots - <eplitive> Yes!!  But the fact that it may only do it once a day makes it less of an aggravation than if it were to reboot on its own three or four times a day.  

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

Ooops!  I think I assumed that when I said I was living completely off grid in the desert, you'd know that it was a trailer.  (( How I expected you to know is beyond me, but ... most of us out here are in trailers. ))

Honestly, as a city slicker, it didn't occur to me you were living a trailer! :)

If the problem is indeed related to your home's electrical system (which it indeed seems to be!), I'm afraid I can't be of much help. :wink: Just keep in mind, however, that consistent hard restarts are dangerous to your data and the integrity of the OS.

#11 hayride2

hayride2

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

I have been having the same problem. All of a sudden my Dell Laptop with just shut down, no warning, and restart itself. It is VERY inconvenient if I happen to be in the middle of designing something or writing something because you don't have time to save it before it suddenly goes down. I have not been able to figure out what the problem is. There have been no changes to the electrical outlet so I have no idea what could be causing it. Like TurlinguaDragon it only (thankfully!) does it once a day, either an hour or two after booting up in the morning or sometime during the afternoon, but it is annoying!  I sure don't know what to check! Any help? 

#12 TerlinguaDragon

TerlinguaDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:38 AM

Ach, hayride2, I was perfectly willing to accept that the problem was something with my somewhat unique circumstances and now there are two of us...

I'm still "comfortable" that the problem lies with my electrical system after the testing Bwv84 (who's reading as I'm writing) had me do.

Many years ago I was working with a company who provided hardware support to the Burroughs line of mini-computers.  He also had a similar problem, in his case the machine just shut down.  After a lot of detective work we found a fellow in the industrial park immediately across the back fence from him who was running a one man welding shop.  Whenever he fired up his welder he pulled enough juice to cause the B-1400 to drop,  He had HL&P come out and install another transformer on his side of the power drop and ... no more problems.  Just suggesting that you might want to make sure you don't have a similar situation with your neighbors -or- possibly a hefty UPS between your computer and the wall - which is my next shot.

ETA:  APC 1500 on order.  They confirm that it should take a modified sine wave and convert it to true sine (this I really do have to see!) as well as handling any external drop out situation.  I'm still not completely satisfied with that part of the 'solution' since, effectively, my power supply is a "battery back up" (consists of 8 solar panels and 8 140kwh batteries) ... but we shall see.

Edited by TerlinguaDragon, 20 April 2018 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users