Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I wipe my PC after a automatic repair loop of death.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Plz

Plz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

My desktop is stuck in a loop of death and I've tried everything to fix but nothing works, I don't care about all my programs at this point I just want to be able to use my computer again, please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

You can do a Refresh using installation media which will basically reinstall the operating system.  You will have the option to save all of your personal files, but any third party programs you've installed will be uninstalled.  The instructions below include how to create your own installation media.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  You will have the options to keep your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any key to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.

On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you're not seeing the setup screen.

Select Repair your computer.

On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there.  Select Reset this PC.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Edited by dc3, 16 April 2018 - 07:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:56 PM

Boot to your install media, when you get to screen which shows methods of install choose custom, then format the hard drive or partition you will install windows on, and click next.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

Boot to your install media, when you get to screen which shows methods of install choose custom, then format the hard drive or partition you will install windows on, and click next.

By performing a fresh installation the OP will lose all of their personal data and any third party programs they installed.  But by doing a Refresh they would have the option to save their personal data, but the third party programs will still be uninstalled.  This is much quicker and easier than performing a fresh installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

By performing a fresh installation the OP will lose all of their personal data and any third party programs they installed.  But by doing a Refresh they would have the option to save their personal data, but the third party programs will still be uninstalled.  This is much quicker and easier than performing a fresh installation.

Not in my experience. :)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:53 AM

In this case we will have to agree to disagree.

#7 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

In this case we will have to agree to disagree.

If OP has been smart, any personal info is in the cloud or on another drive.  As you said, he still needs to reinstall programs.  A fresh install only takes a few minutes.  If he installs w/o formatting, all his personal data will be in \Windows.old.  Many times a Refresh will fail, then he must install fresh anyway.  I still stick with clean install.  It is much easier.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

This is taking the topic sideways, something I'm apposed to doing.  We could continue this discussion and exchange suggestion for quite a long time.  But this is not going to help the OP.  If you wish to discuss the merits or the lack there of I would suggest opening a topic in an appropriate forum where all members can contribute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users