Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Windows Store Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pwcrickman

pwcrickman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

I would appreciate some help with a number of Windows Store problems.  The original problem occurred a week ago when I could no longer load the Microsoft Solitaire Collection Windows Store app running on my Win 8.1 Dell tablet.  When it did not load it asked to be activated.  The initial recommendation (from the answers.microsoft.com forum) was to uninstall and reinstall the app.  However after uninstalling and attempting to reinstall the app it gives me a x80004005 error.  I have run the WS reset command and the Windows App Troubleshooter and it has not fixed the problem.  I have also run a sfc /scannow and the dism commands to check the component store, but both of them came back with any errors detected.  

The Windows App Troubleshooter does mention that the service registration is missing or corrupt and resultant disposition is "Not Fixed".  

I have tried to re-register the Windows Store app because it now errors out when it loads and claims it cannot connect to the Internet or server whenever it starts or when I go the App Updates page.  A restart after the powershell re-register command (run under the Administrator account) did not fix this problem.  

I have checked the Window Update, BITS and Crypto services and they are all running as expected.  I have checked the Date and Time and it is set appropriately.

I also noted that when I open the MSN News app that my customized news sections are not shown (just the default sections).  

Are there any other options / solutions that you can recommend to try?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by pwcrickman, 14 April 2018 - 07:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Might you be able to get your solitaire program as a normal exe file program from somewhere without relying on the windows store? I know that this might not be the answer you are looking for, but if running your solitaire game is all you use the store for you might be able to get around needing the store instead of fixing it. If this sort of method is, for some reason, not an option for you then hopefully someone else can advise further on how to fix your issues with the store.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 pwcrickman

pwcrickman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:31 PM

rp88,

Thank you for your suggestion.  Unfortunately the MS Solitaire Collection is not offered as a regular app that can be downloaded from somewhere other than the Store.  In reference to this app itself, MS has been updating the Win 10 version and I suspect that one of the updates to that version inadvertently broke the win 8.1 version.  This happened to the MSN Weather app last year.  

I do want to fix the Store problem.  I am suspecting that there is an MS account problem contributing to it.  Although there is no indication of any account problems when I visit the MS account site online.  I know that if all else fails I can reset the system, but I am trying to avoid that drastic a step.  Any there is no guarantee that it will fix this problem.

I am a computer professional myself and find that more and more the remedy for all problems is always trial and error which is very frustrating.

#4 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:00 AM

Type into search, cmd, run as admin.

type into the command prompt

chkdsk 

press enter

if there are any errors

type in chkdsk /f

press enter, type in y, press enter, restart the computer

#5 pwcrickman

pwcrickman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

The chkdsk command reported no problems detected when run in read-only mode (first recommended step). 

I have also run the Windows Update Troubleshooter found here.  It fixed a number of Windows Update settings as well as the Service Registration error I reported earlier.  However the Store connection error persists.  The Store loads, but whenever I try to go to the My Apps page or try to go to App Updates under Settings I receive the following error:

"We weren't able to connect to the Store.  This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out.  Please wait a few minutes and try again (0x80072ee2)."

I have checked the proxy settings in both IE and under Change PC Settings -> Network -> Proxy and it is turned off.   

Edited by pwcrickman, 16 April 2018 - 08:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users