Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super slow download speed, but not upload speed.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moomie12345

moomie12345

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

Hey everyone, hope you're all having a great day!

6 weeks or so ago, the internet on my desktop started acting up, so I decided to switch to my laptop until I could afford to buy a new network card. I thought the problem was with my hardware because it acted the exact same way as when my old modem gave out. So yesterday my new card (netis 300mbps wireless N-PCI-E adapter) comes in, but after completing the installation everything is exactly the same. 

Speedtest shows me that my speed ranges from around:

0.4 -2.6 mbps for download

5-45 mbps for upload

Oddly my phone has the same terrible speed, but my laptop and 2 housemates that use the same network have no issues. I'm not 100% sure if the phone is related. My computers are about 8ft from the router.

I run win10 64bit.

So far i have tried:

-resetting the router

-messing around with the firewall

-changing the network adapter/card

-running network troubleshooter (found nothing wrong)

-resetting my IP connection

Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bcZeCtI6lYhG87es6qxTcmX

Thank you all!

Edited by moomie12345, 14 April 2018 - 01:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

At 8' can you try an Ethernet cable and see if the problem persists? 

Your Speccy results show a surprisingly low link speed on the wireless connection - Link Speed: 38.4Kbps. This would point to some pretty major interference. It may be that your Router is simply too close and the transmit power set too high for your card to handle, it might be enlightening to take your computer to another room and see what changes, if it's not too difficult (it looks like you have a pretty extensive setup). You could also try changing the channel on your wifi and see if you can get a clearer signal. 

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

could your other roommates have messed with the router settings and limited your bandwidth?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users