Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HERE TODAY & GONE TOMORROW

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 themaninthejar

themaninthejar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hi Folks,  I have a couple of problems since the Upgrade> Hope for some help

I lost communication with my smart TV-  WI-FI connection is there but still no go. I get to a point of a reset and is prompted to reset the WPS button on my router- but I don't have a button :scratchhead:

Lost communication with my printer also

Another annoying thing is Sticky Notes>> sometimes loads more than often just freezes; I then have to cold cock the PC and restart Its just not usable now

Things were just fine before the last update

I would appreciate any thoughts

Edited by themaninthejar, 15 April 2018 - 06:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

First question that comes to mind;

What upgrade?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:35 AM

err meant update.......& WPS button.  I need to look over before I post :lol:

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

So what did you have before and what did you update too? This is vital information so that the fine folks here can help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Windows kept trying to update- It would get to 80% and then stop; this happened many times and then one day ,it completed- that's when these things started happening

Like with the Sticky notes; which changed in appearance also ; I utilize many malware utilities(not all at once) and junk ware as well- so I'm ok in that dept

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

Click/tap on the Search icon (magnifing glass)in the Taskbar and type update history.

PLrbrFc.png

When Update history appears click/tap on it.  This will open the update history for all of your updates.  This will also indicate whether the updates installed properly or failed.  Please find your update (example: KB4090913) and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

Yes, exactly what dc3 said. It is important for us to know what update you are talking about in order for us to begin to understand your situation.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

Thank you for responding-  I found that KB4074588 failed to install on 2/14/18;  but installed successfully on 2/25/18

that was the only failed install :scratchhead:

thanks for responding..

Edited by themaninthejar, 15 April 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:44 AM

There is a problem associated with the KB4074588 update.  Microsoft Support has the following description of this problem.

After installing the February 13, 2018 security update, KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248), some USB devices and onboard devices, such as a built-in laptop camera, keyboard or mouse, may stop working for some users.

This article has two suggested methods to resolve this issue. 

The first suggestion is to download and install the KB4090913 update.  This suggestion is for those who's computer can still operate to do the download and installation.

The second option requires that you be using an Administrator account.

The second method is to enter the RE (Recovery Environment) and use the Command Prompt to enter a command which will uninstall the KB4074588 update.  This solution is intended for those who's computers are inoperable due to keyboard or mouse problems.  Since the keyboard or mouse aren't functioning properly you will need to use a different means to enter the RE. 

One method to enter the RE is to boot the computer till it begins to load then press and hold the Power button.  This will cause the computer to perform a hard shutdown.  If you repeat this two or three times the computer should boot into the Recovery Environment.  You should see an image similar to the one below.

aRbPjli.png

Once in the RE you need to select Advanced options.

You now need to select Command Prompt.

JvFWIlS.png

When the Command Prompt opens copy and then paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17

Restart the computer to finish the repair.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

Hi-  Well what I did was to type "About your PC" into the taskbar and this is the OS Build 16299.371

Is that where I should be?

Thanks

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

Please follow the instruction to repair your computer in my last post.

#12 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:29 PM

Hi again--- well I tried the 3 downloads available and each time a pop up stopped the install stating that this update is not applicable to my computer

I've been trying the alternate method but I can't get my PC to get into the RE mode.Which is probably due to not really knowing at what stage to shut the power button.

I'm doing it at the boot menu display-is this not correct?

#13 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

Hi themaninthejar,

Your system is up-to-date at Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.371) thus the pop up notifications that the attempt to update again is not applicable.

As dc3 is working diligently to help you, until he is back online, it would be helpful for you to answer a few questions.

1) Are you still having problems with your Smart TV Wi-Fi? (If your printer is connected via Wi-Fi you would lose connection to it.)

2) Have you contacted your ISP for technical support? Do you lease your router from them?

3) Sticky Notes: Let us know if you are using the Microsoft Sticky Note App. If yes, a reset or reinstall might be in order.

4) Biggest question: Is your computer working? In your first post you shared it was not usable.

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:15 AM

Hi, I hate to be a party pooper, however the method referenced in Dc3's post #9 will not work, I sure wish it did, would make life so much simpler.

There are two problems. first is the cmd asks to remove a package from c: drive, (dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package) this makes sense since the OS is typically on c: drive, unfortunately the RE is a virtual drive, and in this diagnostic mode, it is almost never the c: drive that is assigned the OS. So the cmd will fail.

We need to find the drive the OS has been assigned in the RE and use this drive letter in the cmd, to do this at the x:\windows\system32> prompt we first type:-

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (press enter), this returns osdevice .......... partition x (where X is a drive letter) it is this letter we need to use in the cmd:- dism.exe /image:c:\ /remove-package, typically in most win 10 this drive letter is d:

And secondly the problem can be partly written data to the manifest file in winsxs, this will cause reset failure and corrupt further downloads, so in the RE we need to load a registry hive, delete a registry entry, before we remove the package. I wrote the only fix for this, unfortunately it appears to frighten users and has not been employed, I don't really blame users... MS need to automate this, in a fix it. The full fix is here:-

Attached Files

#15 themaninthejar

themaninthejar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

Hi themaninthejar,

Your system is up-to-date at Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.371) thus the pop up notifications that the attempt to update again is not applicable.

As dc3 is working diligently to help you, until he is back online, it would be helpful for you to answer a few questions.

1) Are you still having problems with your Smart TV Wi-Fi? (If your printer is connected via Wi-Fi you would lose connection to it.)

2) Have you contacted your ISP for technical support? Do you lease your router from them?

3) Sticky Notes: Let us know if you are using the Microsoft Sticky Note App. If yes, a reset or reinstall might be in order.

4) Biggest question: Is your computer working? In your first post you shared it was not usable.

HI Soft Eyes- Thank you for responding- About your questions

Yes, I'm still having the smart tv & printer problem and No I have not contacted my ISP and yes I lease the router

I'm starting to see I have 2 different problems .....maybe 3..

Sticky Notes is what was included in the initial W10 install; never a problem however after the update,that's when the problem started; even the "look" changed

My PC is running I meant in my 1st post that Sticky notes was useless

I have been experiencing slower loading time and time outs..and now after startup and entering my password I find IE has automatically opened and I'm in my browser(I don't use IE- using Firefox

anyway, fun times..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users