Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which version of Ubuntu should I use for:

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kiranchavan

kiranchavan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:37 AM

I have a 1.5GB RAM PC , with 32bit processor and I run windows 8.1 in it without any problem and it runs normal in Windows 8.1 and I needed a specific version for my PC please don't recommend me Lubuntu or Xubuntu please I need Ubuntu only please specify me with a particular version of Ubuntu only, I don't need Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:00 AM

Kiranchavan:-

The only reason we're recommending distros for you other than Ubuntu is because we know from experience that with only 1.5 GB RAM your Ubuntu experience will be borderline at best.....and it won't give you a very good impression of Linux.

Lubuntu and Xubuntu are essentially Ubuntu 'under the hood', but running far more lightweight desktop environments and window managers. If you're concerned that with anything other than Ubuntu you won't be able to install all the stuff published for Ubuntu on the web, don't be. Apps/programs/tips'n'tricks published for Ubuntu will nearly always work with the other two.....more so these days, now that the Unity desktop environment has been given the heave-ho.

Insisting that you must have a specific distro (and nothing else), you aren't going to take any notice of what advice we give you.....so why bother asking?

Believe it or not, we do have some experience with this sort of stuff. We're not talking out of our backsides, y'know!

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:06 AM

Since you are dead set on Ubuntu there is Ubuntu Mate.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 kiranchavan

kiranchavan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

Will Ubuntu 16 work?

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

If you are referring to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS it's hard to say.

Bottom line Ubuntu is resource demanding so if you have weak hardware it don't work well.

Using Ubuntu Mate or Xubuntu or Lubuntu would be a better option as these aren't as resource demanding as Ubuntu.

Edited by The-Toolman, 14 April 2018 - 10:55 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

16 is just a release number for Ubuntu, it's not a different type (like Lubuntu or Kubuntu or Xubuntu or Mate).

Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus) was the last LTS (long term support) version of Ubuntu. Though it is different n some ways from Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark) which is the current non-LTS release, it is not going to be any lighter on resources.

So if 17.10 doesn't run well on your hardware, then 16.04 is not likely to be an improvement.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

from your previous topic...:

NickAu said : 

I would suggest you try Linux Mint Xfce.

New features in Linux Mint 18 Xfce - Linux Mint

Do you know how to burn an .iso to DVD or USB?

You replied...::

Yes Bro! I know how to burn into usb i have done it for windows 8.1 , 7, and XP

So.....take whatever iso you think you can run, change the boot order and run it. See how it goes.

My guess ?...either ubuntu 16 or 17 will not run at all well.....while Nicks recommendation of LM18 xfce or Linux Lite will run quite well.

Get hold of a usb thumb drive and get burning.

You mentioned that you downloaded Lubuntu.....did you burn the iso to a usb and try it out ?

Do you need any help with changing boot order and giving your chosen OS a test run without installing ?

Edited by Condobloke, 14 April 2018 - 09:44 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:34 AM

Will Ubuntu 16 work?

Try it!  I like others suspect it won't run very well.  The "Recommended system requirements" are on the below page.

Are you sure you have a 32bit processor? because running 64bit is better, especially if you get more RAM in the future.  Direct Download below:

Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS -32bit

Ubuntu Mate would be a good choice also.  I find Mint's Xfce more to my liking.  Also, Xfce 18.3 has an amazing Default Screen Saver.  Some may not care, but I love it!  Go to the below page and find the "Mirror" Closest to you.

Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Xfce (32-bit)

Choose the 32bit one:

Ubuntu MATE 16.04

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

Or you could wait a bit as the release of 18.04 is right around the corner.

Main ubuntu will no longer ship 32bit .iso images but ubuntu MATE, Xubuntu and Lubuntu will.

Again they are all ubuntu just with different desktop interfaces, you wont loose any compatibility or anything if you use one of them

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

I have a 1.5GB RAM PC , with 32bit processor and I run windows 8.1 in it without any problem and it runs normal in Windows 8.1 and I needed a specific version for my PC please don't recommend me Lubuntu or Xubuntu please I need Ubuntu only please specify me with a particular version of Ubuntu only, I don't need Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Thanks,

Well, if Windows 8.1 runs good (perhaps the best power management Windows ever released) on your computer, then I'd suggest to try Ubuntu 16.04 if you're dead set on it & see how it turns out. :)

Of course, you won't be able to run the next main Ubuntu LTS edition (18.04), because there'll be no 32 bit, yet 16.04 is supported through 2021 & will buy you a lot of time. 

If Ubuntu 16.04 LTS doesn't work out for you, as MadmanRB stated above, give the MATE edition a shot, it's a fully featured OS, complete with Office & many other features. You can add wallpapers to your liking & MATE is almost as light as the Xfce editions you don't want, as stated above.

Please let us know how it goes or if you need further assistance. :)

Cat

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

Did you finally get a chance to try it out?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users