Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moms computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 impalacustom

impalacustom

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:34 PM

I am trying to fix my moms computer that won't boot.  She said that it initially said that the overclocking has failed and she pressed F2 to boot normally.  Well by the time I was able to get to it to see what was going on, it now says to try to recover but I don't have a recovery disk and everytime I try to reboot it, it gives me a boot error, and I would love to try to fix this for mom but I honestly don't know how to do it short of putting a new hard drive in.  Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Please...post the specific error message you encounter.

Louis

#3 impalacustom

impalacustom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:55 PM

It is a homebuilt that was built about 10 years ago, it's mainly for her to get on the internet and store and arrange photo's it's not a workhorse but she is freaking out.  Here is a picture of the error message, from everything I've read it's a boot error, but I've never messed with software and have no clue about going about a fix.

zSD3Svr.png

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:05 PM

Do you have a Windows installation CD that you installed Windows from?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 impalacustom

impalacustom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

I made a recovery USB from my PC at home and took it to my mom's and it didn't work.  It started and went to the repair and then a pop up said to run check disk and it failed to fix the boot file.  I think maybe the hard drive crashed and just isn't working so as a last resort I'll probably have to put a new hard drive in, unless anyone has any other ideas.

#6 RokTV

RokTV

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:06 AM

Check the hard drive

see https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570628/can-someone-recommend-a-good-bootable-hard-drive-diagnostic-utility/

and http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the screen opens, you will see all the operating drives in your computer.
  Hilight the one that you want to use, the others will be ignored.
> Click the upper left corner for the Long Test. This will take several minutes.

> Note:
**If you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
**If you get a message that no hard drive could be found, post that in your reply.
** Be sure to have the drive installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.

(edit afterthought:) you can also contact the computer manufacturer and find out if they will supply you with an OEM installation disk and then use your Mom's key number to install/repair.  And...if you do replace the HDD be sure to download the mainboard drivers for that unit off the manufacturer's website (if they are available) and install them.

Edited by ranchhand_, 16 April 2018 - 08:48 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

i'd be more inclined to check the cmos battery for 3.0 volts first or even just replace it being it is referring to a hardware/software change. and it's a 10yr old computer

#9 impalacustom

impalacustom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

I want to thank everyone for the help, I just ultimately gave in and replaced the hard drive since I could only work on it for a very limited time.  I will be trying to hook the old drive up to an external adapter and seeing if I can take off the stuff mom wants.  Thank you again I very much appreciate it.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:03 AM

Thank you for posting back; many just abandon the thread and leaves it hanging. We appreciate your courtesy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users