Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile failing logon - malware related?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mgman

mgman

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:23 PM

I have a Windows 7 laptop. In the past week, I had 3 major startup problems. First one was with the message "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile could not be loaded." I could only resolve it with System Restore. Second, Windows created and loaded a default profile due to a problem with the default (usual) one. This seemed to be resolved with a reboot. Third time problem was the same as the first one; System Restore failed all 3 times I tried. I had to manually change profile settings in the registry through safe mode to seemingly resolve the issue.

I thought it was related to some Windows updates and hardware/memory failure, but both were checked and turned up nothing. I tried malware scans with MBAM, SAS and MSSE and they also turned up nothing.

I checked the Event Logs and I found 2 relevant errors that may be of help:

"Windows was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. for C:\Users\HI\ntuser.dat"

And

"Windows was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights. DETAIL - Access is denied. for C:\Users\TEMP.HI-PC\ntuser.dat"

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by mgman, 13 April 2018 - 11:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mgman

mgman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

Bump...

#3 anton75

anton75

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:30 AM

Sound like MSE issue to me. This is quite common in Windows 7 thread here. Some suggesting uninstalling MSE(Microsoft Security Essential) while other try to set up password on the computer to put some delay, so the computer won't login automatically(as it seems that the cause is MSE trying to scan NTUSER.DAT at the same time as Windows try to use it to access the login profile).

#4 mgman

mgman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

Could this really be the problem, though? If it's because of MSE trying to scan ntuser.dat, shouldn't the problem only be temporary? As in, wouldn't it go away very shortly after MSE finishes scanning ntuser.dat? I'm stuck on the broken logon screen/message until I boot into Safe Mode, go into the registry and swap 2 profile names. No number of restarts, waiting or shutting off and trying again later will let me log in; I have to manually make those changes. Also, I've had MSE on this PC since I first got the PC around 8 years ago.

Edited by mgman, 17 April 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#5 Jimbo4u

Jimbo4u

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

I've seen this before on a Network. Solution: remove from Domain, add to Workgroup, rejoin Domain.

I have a home PC Windows 7 Home Premium, that came in today with this issue and within 30 minutes another one showed up. I'm at a loss. I can boot to safe mode, but I can not create a new account. Tried to run a chkdsk and it says the volume is locked.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

looking foward into the past or backward into the future i walk along the highest hills and i laugh about it all the way - e e cummings

#6 mgman

mgman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

I'm not sure that even applies to my situation and my laptop computer, though. Still looking for help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users