Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can USB to Ethernet adapters be used in reverse to extend USB?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ScottoD

ScottoD

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

So they sell pairs of USB - Cat5e/6 adapters that allow you to extend USB devices over ethernet.   I've seen them for USB 1.1 and 2 but not many for 3.0

I happen to have USB to Ethernet adapters lying around that allow you to use a usb port for networking.      These parts look like the same thing.  The only difference is that it comes with a female type A on one of the two dongles where both of mine are male.   I was wondering if I get a USB gender change for one of them if it would work, or is there some sort circuitry inside that allows the dongles that I have to only be used for ethernet and could not convert back to usb???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:40 PM

To try and simplify what I am asking:

There is a product sold as usb over ethernet which simply consists of two dongles, one has a male type a usb connector and a female rj45 connector, the other is the same except that type a is female so that a usb device on the other end of the ethernet cabling can be plugged in

In this setup, if you took a usb to ethernet dongle that is sold with the purpose of a wired network connection through usb, can it be substituted in the scenario above   ?

Edited by ScottoD, 14 April 2018 - 11:40 PM.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:34 AM

I expect that you have got no answer so far because nobody actually knows - particularly as you have not supplied any specific hardware information.

I would also expect that the units you have are powered by their USB connection - so only the one at the computer end of the cable would be powered if you tried to use it as a USB extension.

If I wanted to know the answer to this question & I already had most of the parts lying around then I would just try it & find out for myself.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:47 PM

This sounds like an experiment.  I'm not sure of the distance you'll get reliable connections.  Is this an attempt to run ethernet  over  in house phone lines or running ethernet over  USB cables??

#5 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for the replies.   I don't think it will work.  I just need a gender changer to try it which is why I havent.   People even complain about issues with the ones that are sold for the purpose I want.   I think there are chips inside that dictate the purpose of the adapter

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:26 PM

key word you are looking for is a "Balun".  you want a usb to cat5 balun for extending usb lengths.

they make 2 types "passive" which is cheap but the distance is shorter or "active" which is amplified so you can run even longer distances.

you however cannot use a usb/ethernet adatper, that is an actual ethernet controller for plugging into a network and only works that one direction.

baluns are cheap and come in a set so you can extend the length, usually you get about a max of 100 meters (300ft) with a passive balun.

Edited by mightywiz, 16 April 2018 - 01:27 PM.

#7 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

key word you are looking for is a "Balun".  you want a usb to cat5 balun for extending usb lengths.

they make 2 types "passive" which is cheap but the distance is shorter or "active" which is amplified so you can run even longer distances.

you however cannot use a usb/ethernet adatper, that is an actual ethernet controller for plugging into a network and only works that one direction.

baluns are cheap and come in a set so you can extend the length, usually you get about a max of 100 meters (300ft) with a passive balun.

Thanks.   If I used a powered USB dock with hdmi port , do you think the video would work over the powered connection?

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

now that I know what your trying to do, it would be better to get hdmi to cat6e baluns to run a long distance.  you can use cat 5 with it, but 3d probably wont work with it. 

and you have to use 2 cat5 wires for hdmi to work.

Edited by mightywiz, 16 April 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#9 ScottoD

ScottoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

I want keyboard and mouse to o

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

then invest into a KVM switch!  instead of messing with extending usb.

KVM = keyboard video mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users