Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run .exe files - win10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ocelott

Ocelott

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:03 PM

Hello everyone.

Above all sorry for my english. It's not my national language. Still learning.

As in topic title... I can't run many exe files on my PC (Steam, Skype, Uplay even AdwCleaner). After trying to open a program, like skype or steam (but not only) nothing happens. A little circle next to the mouse cursor is showing for a few seconds, and that's all. My system restore isn't working as well ('could not access file' error), so I can't restore my pc to previous point, before it happened. Somehow I can launch my Mozzila and Chrome (also FRST64 and OTL).

I will be really grateful if any of you, Mr/Mrs, can help me.

Things I did while I was trying to fix this problem (in such order)
used System Restoration build-in tool in win10 ('could not access file' error)
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (Result: The restore operation completed successfully.The operation completed successfully. )
sfc /scannow (no problems were found)
Clean boot
I have successfully used a method from this link: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-restore-default-file-type-associations-windows-10-a.html and nothing has changed.
Edit: Scanned with EmsiSoft Emergency Kit for viruses and malwares. None found.

Things I did before this problem started (I am not sure if this is related but maybe it will help)
Updated my Windows (first impatiently canceled the Windows Update by restarting my PC, then after restart started it again and successfully updated.
Cleaned my disc and registry with WinUtilitiesPro

Edited by Platypus, 13 April 2018 - 11:05 PM.
Redacted link to sales site - not required.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

Cleaning the registry with WinUtilitiesPro might be what is causing the problem. You really don't need to mess with the registry in Windows 10 with cleaners. 

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:18 AM

Make a new user, boot into it and see if things work then. Your profile may be corrupt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users