Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire V5 laptop won't power on, black screen, no beeps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _MD

_MD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire V5 laptop which won't power on.  When I press the power button, the power button light and the keyboard back light flash on for less than a second and I hear a click from the optical drive.  It then goes off for a few seconds and then repeats.  This goes on until I press the power button again.

I've tried powering it on with just the battery, just the AC and both.  I tried removing the AC and the battery and holding the power button down for 30 seconds between each one.  The behaviour described above is the same regardless of battery/AC so I assume it's getting power (the power LED does light up on the front of the laptop, but the hard drive LED does not).

At no point is anything displayed on the screen and there are no beeps, so I guess it's not even getting to POST.  This means I'm not able to get into BIOS or recovery.  I tried powering it up after removing the RAM in the hope of getting some beeps out of it, but that didn't make any difference; still no beeps and the keyboard back light and power button still flash on.

As far as I'm aware it's not been dropped or had any water damage.... is this a lost cause?  

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

I think from your post you did a powercycle with the power adapter but not the battery installed, correct? 

You can use a multimeter to check if you are getting enough voltage from the power brick. As strange as it may seem I have heard of laptops not booting if the CMOS battery was dead. You may want to look at replacing it but it may or may not solve the problem.

It may be a hardware problem that would require a good shop to diagnose. If you need data from the HDD you can remove it and connect it to another computer using a USB adapter. 

#3 _MD

_MD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I did a powercycle with the power adapter plugged in and the battery removed.  I also tried with the battery installed and the power adapter unplugged - this had the same results.

Thankfully I was able to copy everything from the hard drive - annoyingly hard drive removal required a lot more disassembly than I was expecting... I'm going to have to go back in now!  I'll check the CMOS battery and I've got a universal adapter I can try.

Cheers

#4 _MD

_MD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:53 AM

Tried a different adapter, replaced the CMOS battery, still the same. Tried it without the DVD drive and the wireless card, still the same...

Anyone got any more suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users