Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD files to 2nd HDD problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

About  a year ago I transferred, all in one click,  about 20 GB of 15 or 16 video files from my 3TB Seagate Expansion drive to a 4TB Seagate Expansion drive by, as I remember, by clicking on 'Send to'.

As the 4TB drive appears to be failing I want to copy all it's files , about 2.7TB, back to the good 3 TB drive but this time I see no 'Send to'. There is the way to drag and drop but I have more than 1000 files so that would be exhausting

I have downloaded both the Macrium and Mini Tool copying/Cloning software  but not only do those seem a little difficult the Macrium started to copy OK and then failed giving See History log file which says: 

MFT corrupt - Error code = 6. Please run 'chkdsk D: /r'   But would I have Manage File Transfer on the empty D drive (the prospective destination drive)  

So initially where is that Send to by right clicking the HDD in IE? or is my brain memory faulty?

Any comments appeciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:10 AM

There is the way to drag and drop but I have more than 1000 files so that would be exhausting

No different to Send To...

If you have files highlighted you can copy and paste per mouse or CtrlC CtrlV.

But if the MFT is corrupt you'll have copying errors too.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for responding.

I remember that the first transfer of the 15/16 videos took some hours, 3 hours or so, so I didn't do it by drag and drop for each one but with one go. I wonder if I select All or a few of the files I can get the Send to - I'll try it. I'll do the chkdsk first though.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:28 AM

You don't have to drag and drop individual files. If you select all the files, any of the functions drag and drop, CtrlC CtrlV or Copy/Paste with the right click menu will transfer all the selected files.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

Whatever I did before it was done in one go so perhaps I did select all and copied or dragged. I'll try that.

The chkdsk I left running for four hours and noticed it would run perhaps for days - it is a 4TB HDD

Edited by zzzz, 13 April 2018 - 10:35 AM.

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:35 AM

Problem solved - just selecting a number of video files, right clicking and my old favourite Send to was there - I had just forgotten how I did it last time.

The 1100 odd files just took about 7 hours. I guess the Macrium route would be quicker but I failed at that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users