Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

''Logged on with default profile''

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:32 AM

I've been using Win.7 64bit on my PC since it was built for me 4 years ago with absolutely no problems at all with Win.7. Yesterday,i booted up my PC only to see that it had been logged on with the 'default profile' instead of my user profile, everything apart from a few desktop icons had vanished.

I clicked on the start button & found a listing that gave me a link to Firefox,my usual browser,& i eventually found a link to an item telling me how to edit the registry to re-set my user profile - the ''bak'' thingy !. I did it,& my PC's now back to normal.

My question is - Is there any specific thing that could change my user profile setting in the registry to make my PC log on with the default profile ?. Or is it a hit & miss afair, with many things possibly affecting the registry setting ?.

It seems very odd that a registry setting can change like that ???.

Edited by Saska01, 13 April 2018 - 03:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:02 AM

All files, including registry items...are subject to corruption.  File corruption is a constant in that it routinely occours...but it's not a constant in that it can be caused by various circumstances., some of which may be controllable, some may not.

Corrupt files can typically be remedied by replacement...there is no "fixing" of such.

User profiles are subject to these same potentialities for corruption...as any other file residing on the partition reflecting file corruption.

Louis

#3 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Hi Louis - Many thanks for your reply & information. I have to admit that due to a lack of knowlege re.the Registry in general,i always thought that it was pretty much 'set in concrete'  as it were = nothing can change it - obviously that's not the case,but it poses the question '' how does it become corrupt  ? ''. There must be a cause of the corruption in the first place - maybe that should have been my question.

Obviously, my idea that the registry is not subject to changes (corruption),is a bit wide of the mark !!. :scratchhead:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:16 AM

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-Corruption&id=817785

Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

How to Repair a Corrupt Windows 7 Installation PCWorld - http://www.pcworld.com/article/243190/how_to_repair_a_corrupt_windows_7_installation.html

Louis

#5 homercrispy

homercrispy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:08 PM

I had posed this same problem last week and received a reply while i was away.

It was suggested that an update to Microsoft Security Essentials has caused this problem.  I also believe.

these are the steps I took to correct the problem.

from windows do a system restore to a date at least a week ago.  if it restores properly, uninstll MSE.  then try booting and rebooting several times to see if the problem is fixed.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

#6 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:57 AM

Thanks once more Louis - I'll have a look at those links.

Hi Homer - Trying a system restore was the obvious thing to try,but it didn't work. It simply reverted back to the default profile version of Win.7. I do use MS security Essentials,but i've blocked up-dates since Win.10 came out.  Despite having blocked the auto.Win.10 up-date,it was still trying to install itself. If i tried to install up-dates for 'whatever' - i saw the Win.10 downloader in action. The bottom line is that i don't trust MS NOT to still be trying to force Win.10 on us. Right now MS are trying to  force users to use 'their' specified web browser - Edge . Yet another errosion of user's choice,& we think that we live in a democracy !!!.

This i the way i solved the problem :- https://kb.uwplatt.edu/page.php?id=33215 Thank goodness that there was a website offering a solution.

I just had a look at one of Louis's links & found this :-  "Ejecting external storage devices, such as FireWire® drives, before either disconnecting them or turning them off."

That's interesting,because the day before i had the problem,i'd up-dated my 'back-up'  flash drive with my latest accounts info. I'm not sure, but i think that it was still 'open' when i un-plugged it. I should have closed it down before un-plugging it. Mmmmm ????.  Reasons to be careful.

Edited by Saska01, 14 April 2018 - 07:06 AM.

#7 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:14 AM

I turned my PC on this morning,& once again i was logged on using the 'Default Profile'. I went straight to the registry & looked at the 2 profile values & they were as they should be - my user profile without the .bak on the end. Just in case i'd got it wrong,i decided to re-boot my PC & re-check the profile setting,but it re-booted perfectly.

I did use a Flashdrive yesterday,one that i store music MP3's on,but it was turned off before i unplugged it,i made sure of that. I can't understand why this should have happened once more,especially as the profile values were 100% correct ????.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users