Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Performence Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SamGutteridge

SamGutteridge

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:56 PM

I have recently been experiencing some very erratic performance problems with my PC. The computer can be working perfectly normally one second then goes extremely slowly for what seems like no reason to the extent that I can't even move the mouse cursor. One way I have found that solves this for a short while is holding ALT + TAB as if I was scrolling through programs, even if I have no program windows open. This speeds up the computer although it could slow down again after very quickly. I have not done anything that I am aware of recently that has caused this sudden poor performance. I am running Windows XP SP2. I have run Anti Virus and Anti spyware programs but these haven't found anything.

Any help would be much appricated.

Thank you in advance

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

This could be caused by several things:

Programs running in the background

A scan that is running such as a virus scan

Updates running (for Windows or your anti-virus program, etc)

A large number of temporary files

First, look at the information in our tutorial
Slow Computer Checklist
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Second, examine the programs that start when Windows starts and eliminate those that aren't necessary to run until you want to use them.
Removing them from the startup menu does not stop them from being able to be opened as you need them but be careful not to disable your snti-virus application, firewall, anti-malware programs that give realtime protection and essential Windows services.
Use Startup Inspector, which is superior to using the Microsoft utility msconfig to regulate your start menu as it shows you for the most part what each entry is, its name and the ap it is connected with and lessens the chance of stopping one that may be important to keep running at all times.(like an av program or firewall)
http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Third: Schedule anti-virus scans to run at a time when you will not likely be using the computer.

I also suggest that you take advantage of the Windows One Care Free Scan from Microsoft, an on-line scan that will Check for and remove viruses, Get rid of junk on your hard disk, and Improve your PC's performance.

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download an Active X component.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 October 2006 - 03:56 PM.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

I just had a slow problem. Tried everything could think of and finally came to find out my recent install of NOD32 was the problem.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

Try AVG freeware

#5 SamGutteridge

SamGutteridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

I have tried your suggestions but unfortunatly havent got anywhere. I'm thinking a complete reinstal of Windows may be the best idea but I first need somewhere to store about 40-50GB of files.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

The best place to store backed up data is on a second hard drive.
They have become very cheap.

Did you run the Windows Live Safety Scan?

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 October 2006 - 06:29 PM.

#7 SamGutteridge

SamGutteridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:25 AM

yeh i did run the scan

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:30 AM

What did it find?
It should have found fragmented registry sections and temp files to delete.

Did it find any malware, which is a primary source of the problems you stated?

You did not say what the task manager showed as using system resources when the computer slowed down, and if it is a scan like an av scan schedule it for a time when the computer will not be used?

What AV program and firewall do you have?
Symantic is a resource hog and many times is complicit in computer slowdowns.
AVG Free is far better and far better at not overusing resources.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 October 2006 - 05:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users