Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to CUSTOM INSTALL 3rd party software to Win 10 ???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abrandt

abrandt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 04:39 AM

Howdy, Forum Members:

QUESTION
How to CUSTOM INSTALL 3rd party software to Win 10
vs. default C:\ OS location?

I want to install instead to primary SSD Apps partition: 
D:\Utilities\3rd party software\

Thank you in advance for a prompt and detailed response. 

Positively,

~ Alan

MicroCenter PowerSpec 1510 notebook
Intel® Core i7-7700HQ
G.SKill RAM 16GB DDR4 2400
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disk-1: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Disk-2: WD Black 7200 RPM 1TB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:06 AM

This is a function of every installer I've ever dealt with.  You are generally presented with a dialog that indicates the location to which the program will be installed is either C:\Program Files\{subfolder for program being installed} or the same under Program Files (x86) if it's a 32-bit program.  On that dialog is a browse button that you use to navigate to a different folder location if the default is not what you want.

If you're installing using a batch file or PowerShell script then you'd need to look at the command line documentation for the specific installer itself to see what command line parameter is used to designate an alternative install folder.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:07 AM

You need to be a little more specific.  What are you looking to install to the D: drive?

To change for everything requires a registry modification.  Some poorly written programs may fail to function if they are not installed on the C: drive.  I have never used this method, so I cannot tell you what issue you may encounter.

Most programs allow you to select the location where they are installed as part of the install.  This is normally how I install software to a different drive.

#4 abrandt

abrandt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Correct me if this is not specific:

I want to install instead to primary SSD Apps partition: 
D:\Utilities\3rd party software\

Examples
D:\Utilities\CCleaner
D:\Anti-Virus\Webroot

Gentlemen... I am not a newbie at 3rd party installations.
My Win 7 computer accomplishes custom location installs WITHOUT a hitch.
The new Win 10 is instead defaulting installs to:
  • Windows C:\Program Files (x86)

THX.  ~ Alan

MicroCenter PowerSpec 1510 notebook
Intel® Core i7-7700HQ
G.SKill RAM 16GB DDR4 2400
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disk-1: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Disk-2: WD Black 7200 RPM 1TB

Edited by abrandt, 12 April 2018 - 09:29 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

I am still failing to understand the issue.

Are you not being presented with the option to browse to your desired location for installation as part of the install?   I have never, and I do mean never, seen this happen under Windows 10 nor any other version of Windows.

What program, or programs, are not giving you the option, during install, to choose the folder where you wish to have them placed?

The default you mention is just that, the default, but you should be allowed to select something other than the default during the install process for any 3rd party desktop app or Microsoft desktop app.  Actual Store apps are a different kettle of fish.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

And just for complete clarity, I needed to update CCleaner to v5.41 on one of my machines anyway.   Here are the screenshots, step-by-step, showing how one can go about selecting the folder of one's choosing for the install folder.

--------------------------------------------

Initial Install dialog screen from CCleaner v5.41, option for Chrome install unchecked:

01.jpg

After hitting the "Customize" button on the initial screen, you get this:

02_customize_dialog.jpg

After hitting the "More" link on the Customize screen, you get this:

03_more_link_from_customize.jpg

After hitting the Browse button on the More screen, you can browse to the folder where you want CCleaner to be installed:

04_browse_button_pressed.jpg

After you've chosen the folder it will show up in place of the C:\Program Files\CCleaner that is presented by default.  Simply hit the Install button and the program installs to that folder and the registry will be set up to reflect that.   Of course, if one is installing to a folder other than the one that is already being used it's best practice to uninstall the existing installation first.  If it's going to the "same place it's always been" even if that's an alternative folder you can just hit the Install button and do an "install over" install with CCleaner.

#7 abrandt

abrandt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:54 AM

I am still failing to understand the issue.

Are you not being presented with the option to browse to your desired location for installation as part of the install?   I have never, and I do mean never, seen this happen under Windows 10 nor any other version of Windows.

What program, or programs, are not giving you the option, during install, to choose the folder where you wish to have them placed?

The default you mention is just that, the default, but you should be allowed to select something other than the default during the install process for any 3rd party desktop app or Microsoft desktop app.  Actual Store apps are a different kettle of fish.

Brian:

CORRECT... Win 10 is NOT presenting any option to browse to a desired install location as part of the install procedure. 

CORRECT... "never seen..." I have had no problem with Win 7 custom installs...

I am now on hold with Microsoft Tech Support: Number Redacted.

Will get back with any update.

THX.  ~ Alan

Edited by britechguy, 12 April 2018 - 11:16 AM.
Phone number posted is well-documented scam phone number for MS-Support, see: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/scam-or-for-real/28e6ac77-7c33-450c-b4b1-de186d9bdf5a?auth=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users