Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply burned, replaced but motherboard CPU_LED lights up, not booting up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dreampower78

dreampower78

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:57 AM

Hi,

I have been using mu desktop for over 5 years now. I have had some power issues such as overclocked failed and had to restart my computer etc. but my computer was working fine. A week ago, I smelled something was burning and it was coming from my computer. My computer was still working but I shut it down waited for some time and started the computer. It started then it shut down with a worse burnt smell. I took off the components and my power supply smelling pretty bad. The rest was smelling normal. 

I purchased another power supply and installed it but this time my red CPU_LED is always on and my computer does not boot up. I do not think any of the other components are burnt. I took everything apart and tried to boot it up. Even though I took the rams, I did not hear any sound indicating I am missing my rams. 

Then I looked at my CPU housing and it seems some of the pins are bent but I am not really sure. There also seems to be some sort of weird shadowy color on my CPU. I will attach my pictures here. 

My problem is sort of similar to this one posted here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3020720/computer...

My computer:

Motherboard: Asus P9X79
Graphic card: GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 (4x8GB)

https://ibb.co/hsSTux
https://ibb.co/mRgz1c
https://ibb.co/imYq7H

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:54 AM

When a power supply fails it can and sometimes will take out a motherboard and from what you describe it may very well have taken out your motherboard.

As for the bent processor pins if not a lot of bent pins then carefully try and straighten them.

In your particular situation it may be time and best to invest in another computer.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 dreampower78

dreampower78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have been trying to fix those bent processor pins but no luck. It is pretty difficult to do that I guess. Especially it was pretty hard to see which angle they are looking towards. 

I am thinking the same thing. I was hoping to get a new X79 motherboard but they are too expensive. I guess after the X99 release, no one wants to sell them. If I go with a X99, then my LGA 2011 will not work with it as well as my memory cards and I will have to invest more than $1k. I found some cheap HUANAN X79 motherboards, I guess I will give them a try. 

Do you think that the CPU is damaged as well?

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:23 AM

As for straighting bent processor pins I've found that a good bright light and strong magnifying glass are a must.

Patience is the main tool requirement for tedious work as such.

Processors are pretty tough and in all of my years have seen very few destroyed although until installed and powered up you will not know.

More than likely the power supply destroyed capacitors which should show signs of swollen and bulging tops also may have some blown out voltage regulators and other components.

Examine your memory sticks closely using a bright light and strong magnifying glass for signs of cracking and burnt spots although until installed and powered up you will not know.

Search wisely and you may find a motherboard new or used on Ebay from a reputable seller that may get you by until you can save the money for the new desired build.

This is only my opinion and others may or may not agree.

Edited by The-Toolman, 12 April 2018 - 09:25 AM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:40 AM

Bent pins can be the downfall of many who attempt repair.  Besides a good lighted magnifier, a spare socket or even a pin tool helps get things back in line.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:54 PM

The pins on this are in the socket rather than the processor.  And there are over 2000 of them in that socket..  A strong light and taking a number of high resolution photo's from different angles may help identify which ones are damaged.  But if there's a significant number bent then I don't fancy chances of repair much...

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 dreampower78

dreampower78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

I do not see any bulged capacitors but I was able confirm that some of my pins are bend and some are actually broken.

I purchased another MO (a cheap one probably a Chinese MO) and trying to boot my computer but it seems my graphic card is not turning on. Its fan is not spinning. I am not sure if the problem is the CPU or the graphic card. I checked my SSD and it is working fine. I guess I will need to find a working graphic card see if the problem is CPU or graphic card.

#8 dreampower78

dreampower78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Well, I tried the graphic card in another computer and it is working. I guess the CPU is dead.

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

What's a MO?

Edited by Joe C, 15 April 2018 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users