Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something went wrong - can't install security updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:16 AM

So I search for Windows updates on my Acer Windows 10 laptop. After a few hours of 'searching', it comes up with Updates are available and starts downloading. After another few hours, it gets up to 80% or so of installing  downloaded updates and then 'Something went wrong'. Really useful information - not. Then it goes back to Search for updates - like it's starting all over again. This has cycled back and forth for days.

But it does give an error code - 0x80070652

I've just about had it with microsoft. Pretty outraged at getting and seeing other vague and vaguer 'answers' and passing the buck from supposedly ms employees on their 'help' forum for the last couple of years.

Edited by RbtCmpt, 12 April 2018 - 03:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:58 AM

You might try disabling your antivirus software for an hour. 

#3 waveydavey

waveydavey

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:05 AM

Error 0x80070652 when installing Windows Update. Error 80070652 means that a previous installation has not been completed successfully. Restarting computer generally fixes this issue.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:32 AM

What is the update you are trying to download and install?

Have you tried to manually copy the ISO image of this update and install the update?

What version of Windows 10 do you have installed.  To determine which version and build of Windows 10 you are running press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png, type in winver, then press Enter.

Try to re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below.

Click on the Windows start key and type in cmd in the search box, right click CMD and select Run as administrator

Copy and paste each of the following commands one at a time in the Command Prompt, then press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:05 AM

I restarted this a few times, ran updates...same thing. I see "Installing updates" - so I assume that it downloaded them, gets to 80%, hangs there for a few hours and when I look at it again, back to square one.

Would Resetting this help, rather than going through all this other convoluted advice that I've got from various sites?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:29 AM

I can't address what has been suggested at other websites, convoluted or innocuous.  But I would stick with just one website's advice at a time. 

If you want some help with this you need to answer the questions in my last post.

What is the update you are trying to download and install?  Have you tried to manually copy the ISO image of this update and install the update?

Try disabling your antivirus and make the installation.  Some antivirus programs can interfere with these installations.

Please do the following to see what if any updates have failed to install.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings.

In Settings select Update & Security, then click View installed update history.

Please either make a screenshot of this page or create an image using the Snipping Tool.  The instructions below are for doing a screenshot, the instructions to post this image in your topic can be used for either type of image you create.

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

Press the Print Screen to capture its image.

Open Paint and click/tap on Paste

Click/tap on File and select Save as, add a name for the file.

How to post an image in your topic

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Edited by dc3, 14 April 2018 - 11:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users