Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

? Before I Open My Modum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jatfla

jatfla

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

When my daughter clicked off my Dell Desktop this morning, she said all was fine. Now the "amber" power light is
blinking and the computer will not click on. Monitor, printer, etc. (not keyboard) are working. The manual said
that: 1-it could be the voltage selection switch is set wrong (how would that have messed up?)
2-the processor power cable is not securely connected to the system board (???)

That last option would involve me taking the panel off the modum and trying to find the processor power cable.
In the diagram, it looks like it's called the "processor power connector". Is that the same thing? This makes
me very nervous.

The other thing is that none of the "diagnostic lights" on the back of the modum are on. Hmmmmm....

Any suggestions?

My system is a Dell Demension 3000 and app. 2 1/2 yrs. old. Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

What kind of modem?

Do you think your daughter may have flipped the voltage switch in the back of the computer?

The processor power cable is internal - has the computer been opened?

#3 jatfla

jatfla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

Kind of modem?? Well, it's the one that came with the Dell 3000 computer. I noticed the voltage switch is really hard to reach. I mean, she's an adult and was checking her e-mail before she left for work. She wouldn't be hauling it out and pushing buttons or switches. No, the cumputer has not been opened. I don't want to have to do that; that's why I was asking these questions here.

Do modem's burn up? Why would it just stop? Everything else seems to be working. The monitor says that "it's in the save power mode" and in order to activate it, turn on the PC.....which I can't do.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:49 AM

When my daughter clicked off my Dell Desktop this morning, she said all was fine. Now the "amber" power light is
blinking and the computer will not click on. Monitor, printer, etc. (not keyboard) are working. The manual said
that: 1-it could be the voltage selection switch is set wrong (how would that have messed up?)
2-the processor power cable is not securely connected to the system board (???)

That last option would involve me taking the panel off the modum and trying to find the processor power cable

What you are referring to as your modem sounds like it's your case which houses the CPU, PSU, HDD, motherboard, RAM, etc.

If you put your hand near the top of the back of your computer can you feel air moving?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:00 AM

A dialup telephone modem is usually internal and has no lights (especially if it came with the PC).
A broadband modem is external, has several lights, and is not part of the computer and wouldn't have come with it, but again it wouldn't stop the PC from starting and booting to Windows.

Yes, modems do go bad, internal dialup, external dialup or broadband, but that wouldn't stop the computer from starting.

How do you connect to the internet?

You said the monitor was working - When you boot the computer what do you see on it?

The way the voltage selection switch could have been changed was if the computer wouldn't boot and someone just started changing switch positions without knowing what they were doing. Yes, it is intentionally hard to change its setting because the wrong setting can damage the computer.

#6 jatfla

jatfla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

By connection, I think you mean Sprint high-speed internet. Yes. Those lights are working, as is the router, the speakers and the laptop that I'm using. The keyboard doesn't light up either.

The monitor (when I press the button) will show a black screen with a message saying "monitor in power save mode. activate with pc) But the computer does not come on when I push the power button; only the blinking (blankity-blank) light! One person asked if the fan in the computer (that's the heavy, rectangle box that sits on the floor with all the 'stuff' coming out the back?) was running. No. No sound at all.

It's really hard for me to believe this thing is dead.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

Could be a fuse that's blown (best case). Could be a blown system (worst case). Do you want to try and troubleshoot it here?

Since it spontaneously died and noone has been in the case - it's likely that something has blown. IMO it's most likely the power supply but could be many other things. Do you have a good surge protector on it? So you have a surge protector on the router/cable modem? Have you had an lightning strikes or power surges/outages?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users