Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

server ram on x399 mobo

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Baal

Baal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:13 PM

I'm building a threadripper 1950x computer, I'm looking for 64g ram perhaps even 128 in a near future and while I was looking for good options and I bumped into very cheap server RAM memory so I have a couple of questions:

1 - Would this server ram work in the motherboard? in its specs it says ECC/non ecc non buffered, but im not sure that meets all the requirements.

2- isnt server ram more expensive because of error checking, so what is the catch with this price?

3 - I originally wanted to buy the G.Skill Trident because somebody told me it has B-die samsung components and that it was very important because the Threadripper communicates to the RAM via AMD infinity fabric so if the faster the ram the faster the CPU, so the question is would this server Ram have those components, and if the whole b-die thing is relevant at all.

(the G.Skrill ram costs 1k so its 3 times as expensive fwiw)

Server Ram in question: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTJ8EU6/?coliid=I22OT0PMZRSRNB&colid=1954KGSISKJ0B&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#kf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:36 AM

I would say no, the RAM linked to on Amazon will not be compatible with the motherboard.  The RAM on Amazon is Registered ECC memory ("registered" is also known as "buffered").  The motherboard specs state it can accept ECC or non-ECC unbuffered memory.  Motherboards that take registered memory tend to be aimed at the server market.

Unbuffered ECC memory is of course available.  32 Gb densities of it are rare/expensive but you can pick up 16 Gb DDR4 ECC modules easily.  DDR4-2400 is probably the fastest you'll find in ECC memory.

3 - I originally wanted to buy the G.Skill Trident because somebody told me it has B-die samsung components and that it was very important because the Threadripper communicates to the RAM via AMD infinity fabric so if the faster the ram the faster the CPU, so the question is would this server Ram have those components, and if the whole b-die thing is relevant at all.

(the G.Skrill ram costs 1k so its 3 times as expensive fwiw)

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on this... Through owning a Ryzen I've done some reading and I'm aware of some of the issues around this.  Yes, the Infinity Fabric (a high speed interconnect linking Zen core units) speed is linked to RAM speed.  So you do see a general performance improvement with high speed memory well above what you'd expect to see with say the Intel platform where benefits for high memory speed are much smaller.  In early Ryzen (and presumably TR) firmwares, memory compatibility was problematic, and around this time it turned out that the only memory that would reliably operate at above 2933 mhz (I think!) was this Samsung B-die based memory.  

More recent firmware updates bringing new AGESA versions have improved memory compatibility.  There's lots of articles about memory performance scaling on the Zen processors.  This covers in quite some detail how performance scales with memory speed on the Ryzen platform (and the TR is basically 2 Ryzens in one) - Anandtech

Personally, I think if you can pick up 64 Gb (4 x 16 Gb, non-B die) DDR4-3200 for say, $700-odd, which with a recent BIOS update has a reasonably good chance of working at it's rated speed, but have to pay over $1000 for this Trident Z stuff, it's up to you, but I don't think it's worth that much extra expense.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users