Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Usage 99-100%

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 xmagox

xmagox

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

Hi, since 2 days ago my disk usage started to peak at 99-100% freezing my windows 10.

I have tried most of the solutions that i found, being:

Stopping services like superfetch, windows search, windows updates, adding MsMpEng.exe to windows defenders exlusion list, stoping notifications, changing energy plan, changing virtual memory values, defragmenting my HDD, running a chkdsk, and nothing helps. While trying this i ended with some BSOD and not being able to load windows.
I decided to do a fresh install of windows, after deleting the partition and format it, and the problem was back again the moment i logged to windows, i even think it was present in the installation, seemed more slow than usual just for poping up some menus. This version of windows was downloaded from microsoft site with their tool, so i guess it includes the lastest update.

I tried another installation of windows with an older version of W10, and i stil have the problem but looks like is not that frequent as previous install, but it is still there.

Resource Monitor doesn't really help me, since the files listed there are constantly changing and i can't pinpoint what is causing the trouble.

I checked my drive with hard disk sentinel and it says that is in perfect condition.

Do you guys have another idea of what can i try to fix this?
Im thinking on go back to windows 7, but not sure if i will still face the same problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

How much free space is on that drive?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zbuster225

zbuster225

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

When you say disk usage do you mean disk IO or disk space?

#4 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

How much free space is on that drive?

Its a 4tb drive, in this case im using Windows on a 250gb partition, right now i don't have exact numbers but i think i have 150gb+ free space, before format when the problem first started i had like 50-80gb. The disk is a couple of months old.

Yes by disk usage i meant IO, the % shown at task manager, not free space.

Edited by xmagox, 12 April 2018 - 08:23 PM.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:07 AM

When I look at the task manager display I don't see anything about disk IO. I see CPU and memory columns and when doing any intensive operation I can see the CPU percentage reach 100% and memory usage get quite high.

How much RAM is installed in your machine?

and

Which column has the high percentage figure?

Dick E

#6 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

When I look at the task manager display I don't see anything about disk IO. I see CPU and memory columns and when doing any intensive operation I can see the CPU percentage reach 100% and memory usage get quite high.

How much RAM is installed in your machine?

and

Which column has the high percentage figure?

I mean the 4th column at the right (is in spanish but that would be CPU, RAM, Network, Hard Disk) as far as i know that is the disk IO, that's the column that started peaking at 99-100% and becomes slowly even if all the process show a 0 MB/s, sometimes there are process that get 20-30Mb/s and the % stays maybe at 50% or lower and everything works fine.

There is 8gb RAM installed, i7 processor
M7tyy3g.jpg

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

malware, adware & data miners can cause issues like this also.  have you ran any malware scans like:

malwarebytes & adwcleaner.   you can both on this website in the download sections.

i would also recommend rkill and run it first then scan with the others.

Edited by mightywiz, 13 April 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#8 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

malware, adware & data miners can cause issues like this also.  have you ran any malware scans like:

malwarebytes & adwcleaner.   you can both on this website in the download sections.

i would also recommend rkill and run it first then scan with the others.

Gonna do that, but shouldn't be that the problem. It happened twice right after a format and reinstall of 2 different versions of windows, and there is no suspicious process at the task manager.

#9 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

Here is one screenshot at 99% with process at 0 MB/s

5K43Tzf.jpg

And another with a high process but low disk usage

5wisOFW.jpg

While taking this screenshots i was running the malwarebytes anti-rootkit and apprently  the peaks and freeze happened more constantly when the scan reached certain files. Will update after scan

Update: Malware finished the scan and found nothing, tried to install SuperAntispyware but the installer just won't open, gonna try again after reboot because this happened:

KYLsiQo.jpg

Is not the first time this happens it also started with the disk peaks, it happens after the pc/disk freezes for couple of times.

Edited by xmagox, 13 April 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

I still vote for an infection of some type. Malware scanners!

Dick E

#11 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:50 PM

I connected the HDD to another computer, im thinking if the problem could be because a faulty RAM or SATA connector, months ago i had 16gb and one of my sticks or slots was malfunctioning giving me BSOD, so i removed it. So maybe another one has errors now and is affecting the HDD but doesn't show as a RAM problem.

While the disk was connected and used as external HDD

Malwarebytes antispyware found nothing

SuperAntiSpyware found some adware.tracking cookies, deleted them.

CHKDSK found 0 errors

Used Auslogic defrag before the partitions became online, fixed 2 fragmented $MFT files. I have noted that the partition is becoming fragmented very quickly, i have checked it couple of times the past 2-3 days and it shows an average of 10% fragmented every time, not sure if this is normal but i don't think so.

Now im using the HDD as master and logged in the faulty windows.

Rkill found nothing.

Malwarebytes anti-rootkit found nothing

HDD Sentinel still says my HDD is perfect, i checked S.M.A.R.T and noticed something under Current Pending Sector Count right now it has a value of 200 and worst of 200 with a green checkmark. While i was investigating this problem days ago, i found a comment in another forum about this value, the user mentioned that i had a 100 value also of worst of 100, a reply said that this was a sign of a bad HDD, i also had a 100 when connected to the original PC but still was shown as a good value by Hard Disk Sentinel, now it says 200 on the backup pc.

I have used it a couple of minutes so still can't say the problem is not present here, would update later.

Edited by xmagox, 13 April 2018 - 05:51 PM.

#12 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

This happened:
In backup pc, i ran again Malwarebytes anti-rootkit it ran without problems, no disk % peak.
I ran it again plus firefox with 10+ tabs, opened adobe illustrator, Process Explorer (found here in downloads), task manager, 2 explorer windows, turned on the Superfetch and windows search services, and again it ran good, no disk peak, the most was 50% , i even suspended the PC, back again while one of the process jumped to a 100 MB/s the disk % still was kept at 50%-60%, in average of the time in use was like 10%, what peaked was the CPU usage at 95+% when i loaded/refreshed some firefox tabs, but i think it was ok that PC doesn't have a great CPU neither a GPU.

Then i plugged it back at the original PC and it was a pain again, the moment i logged to my user session the disk was already at 100% and it took me some minutes to be able to log here to write this, and it still jumping and freezing the pc at random times.
I noticed that while Hard Disk Sentinel and task manager shows a 100% disk usage, the I/O at Process Explorer is the contrary, showing almost no activity and that there was a process that jumped with a red background, like if it was a warning but it was so fast that i couldn't caught the name of it.

I think i can discard a bad Windows installation, a virus, and the Hard Drive, and the problem might be with another piece of hardware, maybe the GPU? since i also experienced problems with some graphics as shown in the screenshots above.

Edit: Aaaaannnddd just got a BSOD, Critical_Process_Died, i think the problem might be in the ram.

Edit 2: Worst than i thought, the BSOD or whatever happened caused a BlInitializedLibrary failed 0xc00000bb error when i tried to turn on pc again, so i have to format and reinstall again, but it sure points to something in the hardware.

Edited by xmagox, 13 April 2018 - 07:14 PM.

#13 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:42 PM

Im still very lost with this.
I cleaned my PC, unplugged everything including the processor and CMOS, blown out the dust, applied termal paste, formated the partition, reinstalled windows, and problem is still there.
Did a RAM memory diagnostic and found 0 problems.

Im out of ideas.

#14 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:35 PM

Please follow the steps below to help troubleshoot your system. Let me know if you have any questions.

Step 1:
Download Process Explorer to your desktop

1. Right Click on the procexp64.exe or procexp.exe and Select Run As Administrator
3. In the View menu click on Select Columns
4. Check Verified Signer, Virus Total and Click OK
5. Select Options Menu and Check Verify Image Signatures, VirusTotal.com > Check Virustotal.com
6. Double Click on the CPU Column to sort by highest CPU usage.
7. (Highest CPU Processes should be at the top once sorted properly)
8. Wait approximately a minute
9. Select Save or Save As from the File menu
10. Save SystemIdleProcess.txt to Desktop
11.Upload or Paste to next reply

Step 2:
Download Event Viewer Tool to your desktop

1. Right click on Vew.exe program and select Run as Administrator
2.. Under Select log to query
3. select System
4. Under Select type to list
Select:
* Error
* Warning
Choose the Number of events as follows:
Click on number of events
Type 20 in the box (1 to 20)
Click the Run button (Notepad will open the log)
Upload files to next reply
Rename to SystemLog.txt or it will be overwritten

Run the above steps again Except at step 3.
Select Application
Rename log file to ApplicationLog.txt
Upload or Paste to next reply

Next Steps if Needed

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#15 xmagox

xmagox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:16 PM

Im attaching the file form Process Explorer, i couldn't get the one of Event Viewer because when i click run i get the error that the software is not coded for my language, spanish.

I went to my Event Viewer on windows to get the errors under system and aplications, this is the only errors that i found under system, im translating what i found

The configuration of permissions established by default in the system does not grant the permission Local Activation for the aplication of the server COM with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
 and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
 to the user DESKTOP-XXXXXX\ (My name)  with SID (S-1-5-21-3522204140-2757013431-624074643-1001) in the adress LocalHost (with LRPC) that executes in the containter of aplications with SID Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.9.6.16299_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy (S-1-15-2-1861897761-1695161497-2927542615-642690995-327840285-2659745135-2630312742). This security permission can be modified with the administrative tool Component services.

and

The server {995C996E-D918-4A8C-A302-45719A6F4EA7} didn't register with DCOM under the waiting time required.  (This repeats like 4 times)

The origin of the above errors is

DistributedCOM  Id: 10016

Attached File  SystemIdleProcess.txt   16.75KB   7 downloads

Edited by xmagox, 16 April 2018 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users