Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe *32 high CPU usage (Access Denied to Services)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mde00435

mde00435

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:38 PM

Hello,

I've noticed my laptop is running quite hard. Checking the Task manager svchost.exe *32 is using approx 50% of my CPU. I have had to set the affinity to only use 1 CPU and reduce the priority of this process to "Low" to reduce the load.

I have run several malware, Antivirus and Rootkill programs and they cannot find the problem.

I'v downloaded process explorer to try and see into the service however upon hovering over the service in question, the label says [Access Denied].

Opening up the service shows me the process tab however for some reason on this process window there is no "Services" tab visible whereas on other process I can see it and view all the processes under it.

Can someone please help. There's something not right here but it seems to be quite heavily embedded. Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2018 - 03:56 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:43 PM

Welcome to BC....

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:11 PM

You should not have to make any of those adjustments - hopefully you have not afflicted your system in some way by doing that.

It is normal to see several to many svchost processes running but most of the time their CPU usage should be zero zero with an occasional blip.

With Windows you don't need Process Explorer to figure out what Services are running under each svchost Process and which Service is afflicted - that is now mostly built in to Task Manager, Resource Monitor but no screenshots can be posted here by mere mortals.

A frequent problem is the Service associated with Windows Update (wuauserv) so a quick check would be to go to:

Control Panel

Windows Update

Change settings

set it to Never check for updates

Clcik OK to save the adjustment

Restart your system and see how things look.

Unfortunately screen shots are not allowed here - at least by mere mortals.

Knowing that under each svchost Process are important Windows Services you can zero in on the Service that is afflicted using Task Manager.

With the PID (Process ID) column enabled in Task Manager note the PID associated with the svchost Process that is running amok (let's say the PID is 1154).

In Task Manger click the Performance tab, the in the bottom click Resource Monitor.

You may need to minimize Task Manager to get it out of the way leavening Resource Monitor open.

Drag the edges of Resource Monitor to make it wide enough to see things.

In Resource Monitor click Services once or twice to expand all the running Services which should be sorted by PID (or click the PID column header to sort by PID).

Scroll though the list of Services until you find the PID that matches the afflicted svchost Process which would be 1154 in our example.

There may be one or most Services running with that PID.

In Resource Monitor look at the CPU column for the Services running under that PID.

If you don't see the CPU column drag the edge of of the Window to make it wider so you can see the CPU column.

You will be able to see the amount of CPU each Service running under that PID is using.

Most of the time the CPU for those Services should be zero so if you have a Service that is constantly consuming much CPU what Service would that be?

Edited by joseibarra, 11 April 2018 - 10:33 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users