Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking help for "Computer Locked" on a black screen.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wasabiduck

Wasabiduck

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Please let me start by saying if I had been told about this prior to today it would not have happened because it has to be a virus. My uncle has been dealing with a supposed mcafee tech for the last year or so, he's payed in excess of $2000 for the ability to use the computer. Today he got a pop up that said "Call nearest service tech." NEVER CALL THE NUMBER! My uncle, being 55-60 years old didn't know. Now they've tried to get his money from his bank account but failed because I caught it when my aunt called me worried. The HP laptop now is locked on a black screen saying computer is locked.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

Does the screen look the the below image? Can you provide a screenshot?

Edit: Do you need any personal data off the computer?

syskey.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 April 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#3 Wasabiduck

Wasabiduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:44 PM

I unfortunately cannot, he's paranoid and insists there's no way I can come across a solution. It doesn't look like any of the thumbnails on articles on the site that I saw. It's an all black screen, with one line of text across the top that reads,

"System locked Contact administrator"

OR something to that effect. I'm trying to convince him to let me work with it.
I'm sorry but he's old!

Edit: I'm sure he needs his files containing his resume and the likes, I'm going to say strong yes.

Edited by Wasabiduck, 11 April 2018 - 01:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:53 PM

If you cannot convince him to work on the computer then I guess there is no reason to proceed further. If you created a bootable Windows 8.1 disk using the Media Creation Tool and restored the registry hives from the Regback folder to the config folder using the below guide you may be able to get your Windows back again otherwise you would need to reinstall Windows 8.1. Because the computer was pre-installed with 8 or 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware and will autoactivate once online.

You would boot the Windows 8.1 DVD and click Repair Computer. Get to a command prompt and copy the registry hives.

The guide is for Windows 10 but the steps are the same for using the Windows 8.1 install DVD

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/674092/how-to-fix-inaccessible-boot-device-error/?p=4470647

You can also use the DVD to do a clean install per the below guide which is for Windows 10 but again the steps are the same for Windows 8.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Personally, I am surprised your uncle would pay $2000 to fix a computer from somebody he hardly knows but will not let you attempt a fix. 

#5 Wasabiduck

Wasabiduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:56 PM

It seems hard to believe, even I'm saying the same thing to him now, thank you for the suggestions, can I reply here if he agrees and I have an issue?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

No problem, If I do not reply somebody should be able to answer any questions. 

#7 efaustus9

efaustus9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:33 AM

I was given a computer from a coworker claiming their daughter was locked out her laptop and they wanted to know if I could reset the password. I told him it shouldn't be a problem,I have had no issues resetting passwords in the past using a Linux live CD w chntpw. So ran through the normal steps but this time I had no success and that's when I learned of the syskey scamers. Using the same live CD I replaced the current registry hives with the hives located within RegBack then rebooted, alas syskey was still in effect. Regback or restore seems to be the only two options I've found in my sleuthing, so I suppose I'll back up the user files and reinstall windows.

Edited by efaustus9, 26 June 2018 - 03:34 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:46 AM

Are you sure this is a syskey password. 

Download Lazesoft Password Recovery Home and enable the hidden Administrator Password.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-recover-administrator-password.html

#9 efaustus9

efaustus9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

Being that it is the hallmark login screen identical to your screen cap in your post and that Chntpw I mentioned I already used does the same thing as the lazesoft product you suggested (sans a GUI), I am fairly confident it is a syskey password.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users