Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Envy Laptop Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TASpencer1

TASpencer1

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:50 PM

Had an HP Envy Ultrabook 4 given to me by a relative.  Has a “Windows 8” sticker but was upgraded to Windows 10.  I cannot get Windows 10 to load. 

When booting – I get a choice of languages – choose US – English.  Then I get a choice to:

1.  Boot Windows 10 – gets hung up here.
  2. Do a system refresh – if I select this I get an error message that the operation cannot be performed.
  3. Troubleshoot – subscreen to “diagnose” - if I select this I get an error message that the operation cannot be performed.
  4. Subscreen to go to MS_DOS system command.  This WORKS.  (But I’m not sure what to do from there.)
  5.   Do a hard reset – have not tried – want to exhaust possibilities first.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

If you do not need any data off the HDD do a clean install using the BC guide.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/?p=4419457

Because the computer was initially installed with Windows 8 Windows 10 will auto activate.

#3 null__

null__

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

Create a live USB using the Media Creation Tool and reload the OS that way. It will take it awhile, but once done you can boot into that and set it up as new. Doing it this way will wipe whatever information is on there. If that is an issue, let us know. Using the tool will load the most current version of Windows available.

Media Creation Tool Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#4 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

JohnC and Null - thank you.  The Media Creation Tool link indicates that yo get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10.

Not sure how that is validated?  The machine has Windows 10 on it but I have no idea what the license number is. Will that be an issue? 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

If the machine was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8 through the free offer period then the license is digital and stored on Microsoft servers tied to your hardware ID. When online Windows 10 will self activate. 

#6 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

Cool - thanks.

#7 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:33 AM

When I opened the MCT, there was actually an option to "install Windows 10 on this computer" as well as an option to create a bootable image file.  I clicked the install option and things seemed to be proceeding fine - although it got hung up on checking for updates for a few hours.  I let it run all night but this morning there was a message that there was a problem installing Windows 10. 

It prompted me to "restore".  I tried that but had to leave immed for work so not sure right now what happened.  Will report back.  JohnC and null - any ideas here?

Thx,

Tim

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

Do the clean install using an iso file. Doing an upgrade on a computer that has problems can lead to more problems. If you have problems with a clean install then it most likely is a hardware problem.

#9 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Do the clean install using an iso file. Doing an upgrade on a computer that has problems can lead to more problems. If you have problems with a clean install then it most likely is a hardware problem.

Got it - will try - thanks.

#10 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

FYI - the clean install worked like a charm - many thanks.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to post an update. 

Now that you have a clean computer and all updates I presume I would highly recommend you download and install one of the following programs. 

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard

Easeus Todo Backup Free

They allow you to create disk images to a USB external hard drive and also create either a bootable CD or USB flash drive. If the hard drive fails or the computer no longer boots you can boot the rescue media and restore the disk image from the USB external drive. This way if your hard drive failed or your computer did not boot because of malware or file system corruption you would be back up in minutes with all programs and settings intact. The programs allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive allowing you access to any file in the image so it can be copied. The time between image backups would depend on programs and updates installed.

Aomei and Easeus also allow for folder and file backups. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2018 - 02:31 PM.

#12 TASpencer1

TASpencer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the tip!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:34 PM

No problem. A program like the ones I mentioned saved my bacon a number of times. It's takes the worry out of losing your information when you have regular backups. Failed hard drive? Install the new drive. Boot the USB flash drive of the imaging program and restore the image from the USB external, all done in a matter of minutes depending on how much data you are restoring. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users