I am having a number of issues with an ACER aspire one s1003 that came with a preinstalled version of windows 10.
Symptoms of the problem include:
1. Random icons appear in the start app list, desktop and tile list that I cannot uninstall and tend to be weblinks upwards in size of 100MB to MSN, Amazon or other type sites (they are not links to this site)
2.The time is constantly disconnecting from the timeweb server - randomly jumping to the past or near future. When time is corrected app icons flicker wherever they are displayed
3. Wifi and networking devices disappear completely at random reappearing at start up. Safe mode does not recognise any network adapters when started in networking mode
4. Error messages indicating a failure to update appear for my antivirus and malware scanners (Defender and previously kapersky and Malwarebytes). The applications themselves do not indicate a problem with updates and successfully update (very quickly) - which generates another failure event. The scans are completed very quickly.
5. Drivers are all over the place - Bluetooth seems to be constantly migrating devices and and requiring further installation even though no Bluetooth devices are attached to the device (ie. Device BTH\MS_BTHBRB\6&10b60113&0&1 requires further installation."
6. My administrative profile does not have access to change a number of basic settings unless in safe mode
7. Cmd prompt never elevates to administrative level - but displays that it is so.
8. App lists show no installed apps.
9. Popups are relentless when googling - often covering information without the ability to close on known sites.
10. Data use is off the scale - idle with no apps running wireshark can indicate up to 100MB being sent in a 5 minute period with the IPs returning only generic UCP and TCP traffic
and on and on it goes.
Bizarrely - items 2,3,9,10 also occur on my iPhone - and on my android with the addition of 4 and 8 but I need to focus on the laptop for now.
What I have done to date:
1. Scanned with Antivirus (Kaspersky first clean install - then Avast - Now defender). Same update errors in event viewer and PFRO.txt - scans rapid (under a minute) if in full scan mode and all return no issues found and database up to date
2. Ran windows offline scan - whilst running indicated 9 issues found. End result reports no issues found. Same with safety scanner
3. Reset the PC to the factory settings using the UI and recovery interface. Operating system runs smoothly until rebooted. Then all hell breaks loose.
3. Started fresh with complete data wipe using the UI and clean install in the recovery interface. Operating system runs smoothly until rebooted. Then all hell breaks loose.
4. Tried to do a clean install of windows - this particular laptop is very particular about the USB it will boot from. Managed to boot from USB only for the file to be unrecognised.
5. Returned the PC to the ACER to have a clean install of the image. Turns out they took two weeks to do what I had done in step 2. Back to the drawing board.
Hopefully I don't sound like a madman - can someone help me out?
Edited by britechguy, 11 April 2018 - 08:00 AM.
Moved from Win10 to AII, as this has all the hallmarks of an infection of some kind.