Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Cursor out of nowhere, also in safe mode....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 champagnecowboy

champagnecowboy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

Found this forum thru google, read around a lot everyone seems very helpful.

Earlier today I was watching something in VLC and alt tabbed and noticed everything but VLC was black screen, froze up my explorer and I had to restart with power button. After it booted back up and I signed in the screen is just black with a cursor. After googling there were many variations of this happening, mostly after the creator's updates but that never happened to me. I read many articles and watched videos with solutions but nothing has helped me so far. Also booting in safe mode does the same thing ugh. What can I do? anything? Need to get the data off the drive before a clean wipe and reinstall of windows 10.

also i've tried task manager running explorer.exe, checking for video card updates and uninstalling my video card then reboot.

If I hit shift 5 times and get the sticky keys prompt up I can click the link and get to the control panel/explorer but it usually goes Not Responding pretty quickly and some control panel items don't even open. Some people have just said to leave the desktop open and it will show up eventually so thats where i'm at now lol what to do!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:29 PM

it would help to know what the make and model of the computer is. If a custom build the make and model of the MB.  If you can access your UEFI/BIOS settings disable SecureBoot if that option is available. Also Quick/Fast Boot.

Download Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you have a USB flash drive available you can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Boot Mint. It may look like it is asking for input during the boot process but just wait until you are at the Mint Desktop. Click Computer. In the lower left pane is your hard drive in GBs. Click it and if Mint can mount your Windows partition a File Manager will open showing the contents. Attach a USB external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop and another File Manager will open. Copy and Paste your files to the USB external drive. After your files are backed up open a few to make sure they are not corrupted. Edit: If Windows 10 is in hibernation mode Mint may show the drive as read only. 

Note: In Mint click the menu button and in the search box type Disks. The Disks app will open and in the window you will see if your hard drive is listed as healthy or not.

Do a clean install using the below guide. Whether your computer has  Legacy or UEFI firmware would determine if you use the convert gpt or convert mbr command shown in the guide.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667627/doing-a-completely-clean-install-of-windows-10/?p=4419457

A clean install is especially recommended if you have upgraded from an earlier OS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 April 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#3 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:55 PM

Many users are also reporting the same, one thought is that the user profile has become corrupt & the solution is to create a new one within cmd prompt under task manager.
From the black screen press ctrl alt del to open task manager -> file -> run new task

type "cmd.exe" without quotes, and check the admin privileges box.

in cmd:

type:

net user /add [username] [password]

username and password without []

press enter, then type:

net localgroup administrators [username] /add

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/8boyyl/black_screen_when_trying_to_log_in_to_windows/dx8r5b1/

Once logged into the new account you should be able to access the old accounts folders to transfer personal files over to the new account.

#4 champagnecowboy

champagnecowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

I really appreciate both posts, I actually followed thru with JohnC's solution. I only have a mac laptop so I found a mac softrware to create a bootable flash drive of Linux mint, went into my drives and made backups of everything I needed. Then I just did Reinstall Windows with Keep My Files, that eneded up working and keeping every single one of my files I had backed up lol, but I had to reinstall all my apps, drivers, etc..

Thanks! making a second account probably wouldve been an easier solution, maybe right now i will create a second account just in case it happens again!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the update. All your important data should be on a second device and now you have the backup in case your hard drive fails. 

You may want to look at software like Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, and Easeus Todo Backup Free. All allow you to create disk images you can restore to a new or corrupted drive using the bootable media they create and also allow you to mount the image as a virtual drive so you can copy any file out of the image. Aomei and Easeus also allow file and folder backups.

The image used with the restore disk would get you back up in minutes with all software programs and settings intact. 

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper

EaseusTodo Backup Free

I do know the Macrium Free software creates a bootable DVD or USB flash drive that enables you to boot on a UEFI SecureBoot enabled computer. It also includes the USB 3 drivers if you computer has USB 3 ports which increases the backup and restore speeds significantly.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 April 2018 - 09:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users