Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questionable desktop.ini - Virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PianoMan55

PianoMan55

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

On my old Pc and this one as well, every time I open a CD below the line under the files on the CD is Files Ready To Be Written To Disk: desktop.ini. I don't know what it is and have Googled it, but I am still in the dark. Some say Virus, others, a legit file. If it is legit, then why does it keep showing up as a file ready to be written to disk? The file path is; 

C:\Users\Heart\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn\desktop.ini

I went to that location, shredded it using McAfee, and when I booted up again later, it was right back on there. I fail to understand why it would be wanting to be written to disk. Makes no sense to my simple mind. Anyone???  It's driving me  :bananas: . I have been seeing this thing for a number of months and even Malwarebytes  had no idea.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

Its not a Virus:

Have a look here for some methods to fix this start at Davehc comments.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/654-you-have-files-waiting-burned-disc-stop-message.html

#3 PianoMan55

PianoMan55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

I found the file path Users\Larry\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Burn\Burn\desktop.ini.
Like i've said, my past coding was Fortran, Cobal, assembly language for a TI system connected to an IBM Series 1 Mainframe. That was in conjunction with Sears management in the 70s and 80s.
But basing my conclusion on that and what i've learned about the new stuf, which ain't much, don't seem like to me a legitimate desktop.ini would perpetually show up as waiting to written to disk. I can find no legit reason to write it to disk. It seems to be showing up after using some CDs i've made and frequently use. Is it possible that one or more of those contains a virus. Many of them have .pdf files downloaded off what have always been reliable websites, as well as various types of music software i've downloaded. If those are infected, how can I check the entire CD using Malwarebytes an HitManPro?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

Well you can get a deep look and see if there is something by doing posts 6 & 7...

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users