Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 HDD to Win 7 HDD PC (and vice versa)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CDLehner

CDLehner

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:20 PM

Yup; I swapped a Win 7 HDD, from an Acer Veriton case...to an HP that was running Win 10.

Got 10 running on the Acer; having trouble with the 7...on the HP.

No sh*t; or is it tweakable?

Thanks,

-CD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CDLehner

CDLehner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

Already dealt with Secure Boot Violation - Invalid Signature and  Secure Boot Control. Now Safe Mode is stuck at classpnp.sys

Edited by CDLehner, 10 April 2018 - 04:36 PM.

#3 CDLehner

CDLehner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

Nothing? Too dumb, to deserve help??  :blush:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:47 PM

Well...I'm just trying to understand...why you would as you claimed.

The hard drives have OEM installs of Windows...which should not be transferable to a different system.  Moving drive 1 from System 1...to System 2...should never work, unless the hardware components are the same for both systems.

Louis

#5 CDLehner

CDLehner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:24 PM

Well...I'm just trying to understand...why you would as you claimed.

The hard drives have OEM installs of Windows...which should not be transferable to a different system.  Moving drive 1 from System 1...to System 2...should never work, unless the hardware components are the same for both systems.

Louis

Well...I did it; because the Win 7 case...did not have room, for my 5.25 BD optical drive. My work case...with the Win 10; did...and I didn't want to have to do, a complete scrub or transfer of files.

I have to admit...I expected complete failure as well; but when the Win 10 drive, worked with the "Win 7" case/components...I was encouraged.

Is it...do you think; that if it works...to the extent it worked at all...it's because you can go "older" to "newer", but not the other way around?

Or...is there just likely some more tinkering I need to do? Tomorrow...I'm going to make a Win 7 repair disk; from the exact same machine the drive came out of.

Edited by CDLehner, 11 April 2018 - 08:24 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:25 AM

Well...the Windows settings and drivers for all systems are attuned to the motherboard.

OEM systems are sold under a license issued by the manufacturer which ties legal operation/functionality to said motherboard.  Technically, moving the hard drive from OEM system #1 to OEM system #2...is a violation of the terms of use issued by the system manufacturer.

Food For Thought.

Louis

#7 CDLehner

CDLehner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Well...the Windows settings and drivers for all systems are attuned to the motherboard.

OEM systems are sold under a license issued by the manufacturer which ties legal operation/functionality to said motherboard.  Technically, moving the hard drive from OEM system #1 to OEM system #2...is a violation of the terms of use issued by the system manufacturer.

Food For Thought.

Louis

Didn't work anyway.

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:30 AM

I've used Paragon Adaptive Restore a few times, it works for me. There  is a free version (it's paid now)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/106642-how-to-keep-your-current-windows-install-with-a-new-motherboard/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users