Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new router won't recognize server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:51 AM

Hello,

I am having issues getting my Windows Server 2003 machine to be recognized by my home network. I just switched internet providers and got a new router. The router doesn't seem to be recognizing my server as it isn't assigning it a new IP address. The server has the same IP address as it did with the old router. All other computers on the network don't have this problem.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue? How do I force my server and/or router to recognize the server and assign it a new IP address? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:00 PM

Are you certain that your server is set to use DHCP to get an address? Many servers are statically (manually) addressed to ensure the address does not change.

Start->Control Panel->Network Connections

right click the connection, select Properties

select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select Properties

assuming you want to use DHCP check both "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS address automatically".

click OK

If it is currently set to static addresses ("use the following..") and you wish to continue using statics change the addresses to ones valid on your new network. Then click OK.

You may want to reboot the server just to ensure everything is "clean".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users