Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing CPU fans

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

I have a couple of older systems (Wolfdale gen CPUs, though built several year after this version was current) using the Hyper TX3 CPU cooler. After about 5 years of on-and-off of use, these fans are getting noticeably louder. I'd like to replace the fans and keep the heat sinks for the cheapest solution. But the clips on the fans they came with seem to be permanently attached. It's not a screw, but apparently some sort of bolt that was used to connect the clip to the fan. (You can get a reasonably good look at it on the Amazon page for the TX3. https://www.amazon.com/Hyper-TX3-Cooler-Direct-Contact/dp/B005HIRDUA) Is there a tool that can remove whatever that is? If not, what sort of 3rd-party clip is likely to be effective in holding a 92mm fan in a TX3 heat sink? The things I find when I simply search on "fan clips" look like wires, not clips. How would those work?

Edited by hamluis, 10 April 2018 - 11:56 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:22 PM

take the fan off the metal heat sink first.

i think if you pinch the tabs that are in the fan holes you should be able to remove the fan by pulling it away from the heatsink clips.  or even a small screwdriver in between and and pry them appart.

i'm almost positive it's a plastic press fitting and should pop apart easy.

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

Hmm, I can't afford to experiment. If I ruin it, I'm stuck with a broken fan. I wish there was a guide to all these different styles of fan clips somewhere.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

There are basically only two ways that plastic pegs can work - either through a hole and they spread, or around a pin and they grip.

If they are through a hole, then squeeze the two - usually two - plastic pieces together with a pair of pliars, if they are gripping then a screwdriver or similar to gently pry them apart.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

Gently lift the plastic tabs up and off the heatsink fins to remove the entire fan assembly from the heatsink, then from the inside part of the fan bracket attached to the fan, you can remove the screws that hold the bracket to the fan, Simply attach the fan bracket onto the new fan in the opposite manner you removed them from the old fan, and pop it back on the heatsink

#6 thatdoodle

thatdoodle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:41 AM

If you're just replacing the fans and not the cooler/heatsink itself you can use any 92mm fan. Those brackets look the same as the ones for the 212 EVO, which are stuck to the fans with double sided tape.

You can purchase replacement brackets here. Then just stick those onto your new fan & it should be easy to attach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users